Block Systems, Contributing and Getting Re-started

dua....@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2019, 5:10:45 PM4/15/19
to fenics-dev
Hi All,

I wanted to contact some of you personally (on the discourse pages ) and not really start a post, because I am not sure where exactly do my queries fit. Finally I thought to post it here on the mailing list.

A quick intro: I am an old timer with fenics who used it on linux to complete my master thesis working on preconditioners for blocked systems more than a couple years ago. I started off trying to do something for blocked linear algebra https://github.com/InfinityByTen/BlockLinAlg, but eventually figured my way around and made this for my needs https://github.com/InfinityByTen/OptimalControl.

The first one was a failure and for the second one.. well, the code is old, possibly buggy and can definitely made more readable/useable. And I would really want to revive it, possibly modularize into something useful for the project. However I am struggling to getting on board with the new Docker and interactive python styled environments. For example, seeing a demo image is still a mystery. I have no clue what that IP address I get in docker is and how do I get to it.

That niggle aside, I just read on the 2019 roadmap that you want to have a support for blocked systems and it got me a bit excited. If I am not wrong, it means the blocked matrix systems. If that's the case I would love to contribute towards the project that helped me so much during my study times. Definitely with blocked systems, because that's one bit I am quite acquainted with.

Do you have pointers for me where would be a good point for me to start? Also what would be a good dummies guide to get around the niggles I'm facing with the new environments?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Aseem