Panel debate with Swedish Parliament and top Swedish journalist on digital solutions for reproducibility in research

jj...@csc.kth.se

Dec 9, 2020, 10:09:45 AM12/9/20
to fenics-dev
Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I think you will be interested in the panel debate 14 December 14:00-15:00 CET which I am organizing together with colleagues at KTH:

http://digimat.tech/paneldebate-kth/

The Members of Parliament raise questions such as: What can we trust? What does this do for the trust in science?

The Karolinska Institutet President Ottersen describes the problem concisely:

"""
We are in the midst of what some have called a research reproducibility crisis. While scientific discovery and complexity are developing at an unprecedented speed, less than 50% of scientific research studies can be reliably replicated. Left unchecked, this troubling fact may threaten our ability to generate sound, evidence-based knowledge that meets society’s needs. It is time to look beyond the traditional measures of quality and re-examine the very concept of quality itself.
"""

We also want to discuss solutions and specifically digital solutions as a way forward, I am demonstrating Digital Math/FEniCS as a solution.

As a connected activity to the debate we are also giving an online course as part of our DigiMat online education on reproducible research, where you in an accessible way can create your own reproducible "Digital Math" publication:

http://digimat.tech/digimat/#repro

Welcome to the debate and the course!

Best,
  Johan