Come join our online Linux/Computer/Tech meeting this Saturday

Wayne

Jun 2, 2022, 7:22:19 PM6/2/22
to Wayne

NOTE: the Location URL for joining the group has been 'enhanced' to restore the original 16x9 aspect ratio of the tiles when using the Tile mode.

Time: This Saturday at 11:00AM Pacific Time
Location: https://meet.jit.si/FeltonLUG#config.disableTileEnlargement=true

Possible topics to discuss:

1) Robby to discuss recording LUG for publishing.

2) Anyone want to explain the /boot/efi? We used to only need a 512 MBR. (Master boot Record). Now with /boot/efi a lot of space is used at the beginning of the harddrive.

3) Possible discussion on why Firefox is now a snap (benefits and trade-offs).

4) Linux Kernel 5.18 has been released. What are the new features?

5) Another handy utility is pdfgrep. It's a command line tool for using grep like search feature on PDF files.

6) Bye bye DuckDuckGo, Hello Startpage. Here is the deal breaker... DuckDuckGo has signed a deal with Microsoft and their deal prevents blocking Microsoft. Sooner or later you will find a result from DDG that will throw a page of irrelevant results back to you and tries to open itself on Bing! Can you spell "tracking deal?" Here is one person's opinion on the matter...
http://businesstoday.in/technology/news/story/duckduckgo-has-a-tracking-deal-with-microsoft-and-heres-why-no-one-is-happy-about-it-335450-2022-05-27

Bring your latest fun computer experiences, problems and solutions to the meeting.

Hope to see you there...

-----

Need to connect?

If you have problems connecting to "Jitsi Meet" through your browser, try the AppImage (for Linux only). It's a single stand-alone file that contains everything needed and doesn't install or make changes to your computer other than the usual config settings. Simply make the AppImage file executable and run it. Quick and easy, plus it will be automatically replaced with new versions as they become available, so you'll always be using the latest.

"Jitsi Meet" applications are located here:
Linux (.deb), Linux (.AppImage), Windows (.exe) and MAC (.dmg)...
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases/latest

Links to the Mobile apps for Apple and Android are here...
https://jitsi.org/downloads/

Helpful hints:
press ? to list quick shortcuts
press M (mute) to toggle the microphone
press V (video) to toggle the camera
press C (chat) to open the chat window
press Space for 'Push-to-Talk' mode so mic only works when the Space is held down; press M to reset to normal mode

Best Practices:
- Remember to enter a user name at the prompt when launching Jitsi Meet
- Please Mute your microphone (M on the keyboard) when you're not speaking, or hit the Spacebar to enter Push-to-Talk mode. Then, hold it down to talk, release to mute.

Rick Moen

Jun 3, 2022, 3:16:41 AM6/3/22
to felto...@googlegroups.com
> Possible topics to discuss:

> 6) Bye bye DuckDuckGo, Hello Startpage. Here is the deal breaker...
^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
> DuckDuckGo has signed a deal with Microsoft and their deal prevents
> blocking Microsoft. Sooner or later you will find a result from DDG
> that will throw a page of irrelevant results back to you and tries to
> open itself on Bing!

Not DuckDuckGo (the search engine on the Web), but rather the
_DuckDuckGo Web browser_.

Does anyone actually even use that thing? Apparently, it's some sort of
Web browser for iOS, Android, and (in beta) for MacOS.

Whoever wrote the above-quoted material was confused (or trolling).
"Startpage" refers to a search engine on the Web. So does the term
"DuckDuckGo" absent a qualifier like "browser" indicating you mean a
non-default referent.

TG

Jun 5, 2022, 12:30:26 PM6/5/22
to Felton LUG
The thing is, DuckDuckGo has failed in communicating the situation properly. I like the way Steve Gibson described the situation in a segment of the most recent episode of the "Security Now" podcast (May 31, 2022). The privacy weakness is in the DuckDuckGo browser software and not the search engine. The CEO issued a vague mess of corporate gobbledygook to clarify things, but really said nothing specific. This was after not properly indicating the holes in the browser software's tracking prevention. So it is understandable that people would be confused about what is going on.