Come join our online Linux/Computer/Tech meeting this Saturday

Wayne

Mar 3, 2022, 2:47:56 PM3/3/22
to Wayne

Time: This Saturday at 11:00AM Pacific Time
Location: https://meet.jit.si/FeltonLUG

Possible topics to discuss:

1) Robbie may have something to present (topic unknown).

2) Bruce Reiss has requested a presentation on Raspberry PI and Arduino boards etc. Larry McElhiney, who used to live here but is now in Indiana and is on our FLUG list, has kindly volunteered to do a 15-30 minute presentation on the CrowPi2 which can show the capabilities of the Raspberry Pi with regard to programming its GPIO. Larry also has the Apple watches version 1, 2, 3 and 4 and used to do some IOS programming should anyone want to ask questions.

3) The Southern California Linux Scale Expo 19x will be at the Hilton LAX once again on July 28-31. Look it up on the web if you're not familiar with this yearly show. One of this groups founders Larry Cafiero used to go every year and report back to the group.
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/19x

4) Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 724 for the week of February 20-26, 2022. The wiki page of this issue is available here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue724

5) Ubuntu 22.04 will be releasing in April. It has a few features planned already. However, Jacob wants other things with Ubuntu 22.04 and he lists them in this opinion article.

6) If Jeff can make it, we might be lucky to hear some details about Chrome OS Flex.

Bring your latest fun computer experiences, problems and solutions to the meeting.

Hope to see you there...

-----

Need to connect?

If you have problems connecting to Jitsi through your browser, try the AppImage (for Linux only). It's a single stand-alone file that contains everything needed and doesn't install or make changes to your computer other than the usual config settings. Simply make the AppImage file executable and run it. Quick and easy, plus it will be automatically replaced with new versions as they become available, so you'll always be using the latest.

Jitsi applications are located here...

Linux (.deb), Linux (.AppImage), Windows (.exe) and MAC (.dmg)...
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases/latest

Links to the Mobile apps for Apple and Android are here...
https://jitsi.org/downloads/

Helpful hints:
press ? to list quick shortcuts
press M (mute) to toggle the microphone
press V (video) to toggle the camera
press C (chat) to open the chat window
press Space for 'Push-to-Talk' mode so mic only works when the Space is held down; press M to reset to normal mode

Best Practices:
- Remember to enter a user name at the prompt when launching Jitsi
- Please Mute your microphone (M on the keyboard) when you're not speaking

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 3, 2022, 4:42:49 PM3/3/22
to felto...@googlegroups.com
On 3/3/2022 11:47 AM, Wayne wrote:
6) If Jeff can make it, we might be lucky to hear some details about Chrome OS Flex.

Not much in the way of details.  I gave up a few days after I started.  Basically, it's "alpha" quality software.  Some parts, that were lifted directly from ChromeOS, work well.  Other parts, that probably came from Cloud Ready, are not ready for general consumption.  Far too many bugs, glitches, hangs and problems.
https://support.google.com/chromeosflex/answer/11541806?hl=en&ref_topic=11510257
At this time, it's only safe to run on a bootable (live) flash drive.  I'll try again when it has a partition manager that allows booting multiple operating systems and/or runs under a VM.  Also, Android and Google Play store support would be nice.  The good news is that it has lots of potential to be useful which hopefully will be eventually fixed.  If anyone wants to see it run during the meeting, I have it running on a Dell Optiplex 9010 i7 8GB on a USB flash drive.  If I'm in a masochistic mood, I might try joining the meeting using Flex.  Testing it in advance takes all the fun out of customer tested "alpha" software.

Drivel:  For no obvious reason, I have three HP laptops that were intentionally limited by HP to 4GB RAM to encourage replacements instead of upgrades.  Except for being depressingly slow running on a USB 2.0 flash drive, one laptop mostly works.  I was just about to recycle these laptops to Gray Bears, but now Flex looks like a way to rescue them from such a horrible fate.

--

Jeff Liebermann                 je...@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com