VM from IBM

Robert Lewis

Jul 29, 2022, 1:06:58 PMJul 29
to Felton Lug
So he thinks VM is 20. Not so fast. IBM announced its first official VM/370 product on August 2, 1972. I participated in the local announcement by IBM ZA. So that makes publicly available Virtual Machine products 50 years old, not 20.
Other mainframe companies quickly came up with their own solutions . VM was a must have, and it stuck. Today's VM, z/VM,  is IBM eServer zSeries virtualization technology.

Of course you needed a mainframe to run it in. I spent years helping customers over system upgrades, separating development systems from production systems and even customer's production operating systems to run on the big iron at IBM. All under VM/370, and and negotiating deals to run customers workload at IBM (VM again) as a means to provide development, disaster recovery and backup facilities.

Some of the downsides of VM based solutions were same then as they are today. Convenience before cost. For example, companies that decided to migrate from one operating system to other under VM were much more likely to run even years over their original plan. There was no pressure. The VM gave them crutches to continue as if nothing had changed. i think in my time, the longest overrun of project plan to go from 6 months, to four years. It was a big shop. Understaffed, because the techies did not want their name associated with multi year overrun in their work. They found companies who understood and provided both funding and resources to complete the job right and on schedule.
Guess who is in the same boat today? The sad people who are running both Windows and Linux on their PC.

Rick Moen

Jul 29, 2022, 10:14:13 PMJul 29
to Felton Lug
Quoting Robert Lewis (bob.l...@gmail.com):

> So he thinks VM is 20. Not so fast.

I hope you don't mean _me_, but I suspect you do.

What I said was: "virtual machine technology became _routine_ more than
20 years ago" (emphasis added). I most _certainly_ didn't say it was
_invented_ then.

When my firm Linuxcare, Inc. was one of the sponsors of the first
LinuxWorld Conference and Expo in San Jose in 1998, new startup
VMware, Inc. was one of our partners, and we did a great deal of work
together acquainting the x86 world with what can be done with that
technology in the workplace, in the data centre, and in many other
places.

LWCE 1998 was the first place where most attendees had encountered VM
technology. But nobody there, certainly not I, was under the impression
it had just been invented.