MA Trails Symposium

michele biscoe

Apr 28, 2012, 8:27:30 AM4/28/12
to fell...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fells Dog Owners,

The 2012 MA Trails Symposium was an excellent (albeit intense) introduction to trail development, maintenance and management.  I learned a lot about the constraints that the DCR is under in its projects and have a better understanding of just why it is that change appears to be at a glacial pace.

I also gained insight into just how orthogonal we advocates of legal opportunities to enjoy trails with our dogs off leash are to the way that trail managers and stewards think, how they understand trail use and how they operate.  For example, you will recall how upset we were when the draft Trail Plan came out and did not include people with dogs among managed uses. I now understand (though I do not forgive it) how it never occurred to the people drafting the plan to consider people with dogs. It turns out that "managed use" is specific terminology in recreational trail planning and management that determines the specifications or dimensions according to which a trail must be built to accommodate the use.  For example, a trail that will be "managed" for equestrian use has certain minimum dimensions for the width of the trail tread and the horizontal clearance and the vertical clearance for the rider astride the horse.  Also, there has to be sufficient resources to maintain the trail for equestrians (pruning, etc.).

Trail users with off-leash dogs don't seem to require any specific accommodations, which is why trail managers and stewards don't talk about us:  A trail that is managed for hiking can be used by hikers with off-leash dogs, a trail that is managed for mountain biking can be used by mountain bikers with off-leash dogs.

I have a much better understanding now that the usage regulations that require dogs to be on leash are not that big of a concern to trail managers and stewards, who, on the contrary, are much more concerned with MESA and WPA regulations and whatever the regulations are that protect cultural resources. Off-leash advocates nonetheless have a very real stake at the trails table.  I am beginning to understand, however, why we have found it so hard to talk to the trails people.

I also have some fresh ideas after hearing the other MARTAB members speak. For example, the equestrian representative explained that they tell people they meet on the trails to "saying something", when approaching a rider on horseback.  Some parks post rules about who gives way.  Wouldn't it be helpful if right-of-way rules for recreational trails included something along the lines that a trail user with a dog, when approaching other users, must perceptibly demonstrate control over her or his dog?  This is something that, with seven years of experience with Strummer, I have learned to do as a matter of common sense:  For example, when others are approaching us on the trails, I have Strummer sit until they have passed or otherwise indicated that it is okay.  I also often leash Strummer for a variety of reasons, e.g. if there is congestion on the trail, until we are alone again and there are no other users around to be put off by my dog being off-leash.

It did come as a surprise to me that a group of otherwise politically astute people seemed to accept "the regulations" as god's own law: infallible and immutable. We come to this work with the perspective that, if the rules do not serve the community, it is incumbent upon the community to establish better rules.  It is clear to me now that there is much work to be done to educate people about the distinction between what is illegal and what is immoral before we will succeed in changing the regulations that require dogs to be leashed at all times on public trails. People seemed shocked and outraged when I said that 85% of dogs at the Fells are off-leash and that we are working to change the regulations to accommodate trail users with off-leash pets.

It was hugely beneficial, nonetheless, to have had the opportunity to participate.

Best,
Michele
with Strummer, Standard Poodle

Vin

Apr 28, 2012, 10:07:10 AM4/28/12
to fell...@googlegroups.com, michele biscoe
Hey, Michele,

Your debriefing on the MA Trails Symposium is extremely helpful and eye-opening to get a glimpse at the other perspectives and underlying assumptions of DCR, trail planners, mountain bikers, etc. concerning have dogs off-lease on Fells trails.

And your recommendation to exert visible verbal control over your dog when approaching other users is now obvious to me.  In fact, it's  a brilliant display of the relationship we have with our dogs.

I suspect I speak for other Fells Dog folks in, once again, thanking you for all your hard work to establish and strengthen lines of communication with the Fells's other interest groups.

Have a great weekend, chilly though it may be.

Vin
Guardian of Nino the Weimaraner

PGF

Apr 28, 2012, 4:45:46 PM4/28/12
to Fells Dog Owner Group
Finally found your report!

Thanks again for your hard work, Michele. It saddens me deeply that
so many people at the meeting were "shocked and outraged" at the
notion of many dogs running off-leash in a huge woodland area; but I
am glad that you are willing to fight the good fight. Hopefully your
better understanding of the trails planning process will benefit all.
No, "regulations" are not written in stone! Thank you for pointing
out that there is a distinction between Illegal and Immoral.