Associate Service Fellows – Health Scientist
Career Opportunity – 2-year Appointment
CDC’s Office of Science serves as the agency’s authority on scientific quality, integrity, and innovation. Our office works agency-wide to advance strategic science – the cornerstone of CDC’s mandate to protect the public’s health. The office upholds scientific ideals; establishes an environment of scientific excellence, integrity and innovation; and promotes timely dissemination and translation of scientific information, innovations, and technology. In addition, this office serves as the primary advisor to CDC senior leaders on agency-wide scientific issues.
Summary of Position:
The Office of Science is recruiting for Associate Service Fellows, GS-12 equivalent for a 2-year Appointment. These positions will support the Office of Science in establishing scientific standards and/or technical advice and assistance in the development of criteria and standards for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of projects and proposals as it relates to data science/modernization, knowledge management, and implementation science.
· Planning and conducting scientific surveys/studies or projects to identify and solve public health problems and key initiatives led by the Office of Science in support of CDC’s Science Agenda.
· Identifying and analyzing public health issues and their impact on operations that are critical to the public health community at large applying established methodologies and techniques.
· Providing scientific and/or technical advice and assistance to resolve difficult program or project problems and/or issues that includes significant barriers to program or project delivery.
· Planning and executing research activities and ensuring that findings are properly interpreted.
· Preparing comprehensive reports of study results and disseminates results of research projects in a wide range of venues including publications, peer reviewed journals, summaries, manuscripts, and special reports at professional meetings and conferences.
· Improving efficiency and effectiveness of public health science and policies in conjunction with senior staff.
· Knowledge of, and experience using, the steps and standards of the data analytics, and data visualization.
· Quantitative and qualitative evaluation project design, implementation, analysis, and reporting.
· Experienced in developing a data collection and analysis plan, collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, Collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data using appropriate quantitative or qualitative methods.
· Experience supporting the development and presentation of scientific information including findings and recommendations using data.
· Ability to manage multiple competing timelines and projects.
· Skilled in organizing projects and systems and managing projects effectively.
· Written and oral communication skills in developing science-based communication tools/resources such as presentations, 1-pagers, factsheets, talking points, briefing materials
Basic Qualifications for the Position:
Bachelor’s or graduate/higher level degree: major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position. This degree must be from an educational program from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
In addition to the basic qualification, the applicant must possess a PhD or equivalent, or a combination of Master’s degree plus one year of post graduate experience at the next lower grade level related to the work of the position.
Percent of travel required: 5%
This position is based in Atlanta, Georgia. No relocation costs or incentives will be offered.
This opportunity is open to CDC/ATSDR employees, and External Candidates, and the announcement is open until 3/15/2021 via jobs.cdc.gov or LinkedIn.
All interested applicants, both internal and external, should submit the following to the Office of Science Management Office by e-mail at OSManagem...@cdc.gov by 4:00pm March 15, 2021. Please include “Associate Service Fellow– Office of Science” in the e-mail subject line. Specific questions regarding this opportunity may also be directed to this mailbox.
a. Resume/CV- please be sure to include references that may be contacted.
b. Appropriate items such as transcripts
CDC Jobs Announcement - (jobs.cdc.gov – Fellowships & Internships) – https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/fellowship-opportunities.html
LinkedIn Announcement - https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2429917476?trk=cap_redirect
Applications will be reviewed and there may possibly be interviews. If selected, the following documentation will be required:
· Official transcripts issued directly to the CDC (these may be sent to the program or to HR by the school).
· Two letters of recommendation from outside CDC (dated within one year)
· Human Resources, in coordination with the program office, will notify the selectee and negotiate the effective date of the position.