Felix 1.7.1.3

Charles Aschmann

Sep 17, 2013, 9:46:58 PM9/17/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
I am experiencing sever instability issues with Felix 1.7.1.3 when used
with Word 2007 and DragonNaturallySpeaking 12.5.

1. Crashes of DNS
2. Word becoming unstable
3. Felix Main module stops working

all at different times, but there seem to be real problems with this
combination of software.

Charles Aschmann

Ryan Ginstrom

Sep 18, 2013, 12:59:07 AM9/18/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
==================
From: felix...@googlegroups.com [mailto:felix...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Charles Aschmann

I am experiencing sever instability issues with Felix 1.7.1.3 when used with Word 2007 and DragonNaturallySpeaking 12.5.

1. Crashes of DNS
2. Word becoming unstable
3. Felix Main module stops working
==================

Was 1.7.1.2 stable? If not, when was the last version that was stable for you?

Regards,
Ryan

Ryan Ginstrom
Felix Computer Assisted Translation
sup...@felix-cat.com
http://felix-cat.com/

Charles Aschmann

Sep 18, 2013, 8:19:44 AM9/18/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I only used 1.7 before this, so that is the last version I know about.
That was stable. Interestingly, this one will be stable for some time,
and then, if I switch to the review mode, I may get a com error. After
that the instability starts. However, I cannot find any consistent
problem. I am beginning to think it is the Word files I am working on.
They are horribly formatted and may have problems in them.

Charles Aschmann

Ryan Ginstrom

Sep 18, 2013, 12:18:47 PM9/18/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Charles Aschmann
> I only used 1.7 before this, so that is the last version I know about.
> That was stable. Interestingly, this one will be stable for some time, and then,
> if I switch to the review mode, I may get a com error. After that the instability
> starts. However, I cannot find any consistent problem. I am beginning to
> think it is the Word files I am working on.
> They are horribly formatted and may have problems in them.

Thank you for the added information. Version 1.7.1 had some changes to the Word add-in: improvements to the segmentation rules. I will set up some tests to try to pinpoint any added instability.

Charles Aschmann

Sep 18, 2013, 1:54:14 PM9/18/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I continue to struggle with this on this job. I have never had problems
like this before, so there may be something in the changes.
I stopped using DNS, but it has not solved the problems. Felix itself
has become unresponsive at times after Word crashes. Would you like for
me to send you one of the messy files to look at. I can do so by private
mail.

Charles Aschmann

Charles Aschmann

Sep 18, 2013, 5:25:12 PM9/18/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

Further information. Out of desperation with crashes of ever increasing
frequency, I did a computer cleanup. CCleaner found a lot of detritus
from previous Felix installations in the registry. After the cleanup, I
have been running Felix, Word 2007 and DNS without issues for several
hours. Perhaps trying to directly update from 1.7 to 1.7.1.3 caused all
the problems. Could this be the case?
I will let you know if there are further problems.

Charles Aschmann

Ryan Ginstrom

Sep 19, 2013, 1:22:23 AM9/19/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Charles Aschmann
> Further information. Out of desperation with crashes of ever increasing
> frequency, I did a computer cleanup. CCleaner found a lot of detritus from
> previous Felix installations in the registry. After the cleanup, I have been
> running Felix, Word 2007 and DNS without issues for several hours. Perhaps
> trying to directly update from 1.7 to 1.7.1.3 caused all the problems. Could
> this be the case?

I don't think that upgrading straight from 1.7 to 1.7.1.3 would cause any special problems, but I will try this in a clean VM to make sure.

If you have further problems, please send me one of the messy Word files for testing.

Charles Aschmann

Sep 19, 2013, 1:01:50 PM9/19/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

After the registry cleanup, where I found remnants of Felix going back
to 1.6 something and including 1.7, I finished the project with no
further problems. It could be specific to my system, but I have
frequently found that programs that leave registry detritus when
updating cause problems. As you would expect there are certain culprits,
but Felix is not usually one of them. You might give a cursory check to
see if registry cleanup is complete in the update installation process.

Charles Aschmann

Ryan Ginstrom

Sep 20, 2013, 12:09:55 AM9/20/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Charles Aschmann
> After the registry cleanup, where I found remnants of Felix going back to 1.6
> something and including 1.7, I finished the project with no further problems.
> It could be specific to my system, but I have frequently found that programs
> that leave registry detritus when updating cause problems. As you would
> expect there are certain culprits, but Felix is not usually one of them. You
> might give a cursory check to see if registry cleanup is complete in the
> update installation process.

Thanks for the update. Indeed, right now when you install Felix, it doesn't look for prior versions of itself (with one exception: there is a "first launch" flag that it looks for). I know that some of the more cautious installers uninstall any prior versions before running the installation, but that tends to be time consuming. However, if prior versions of Felix are causing instability, I will have to come up with a solution.

Thanks again,