Felix version 2.0.0.1 considerably slower than version 1.7.3

Brian

Dec 11, 2015, 2:56:31 PM12/11/15
to felix-users
First off...Just wondering if it is appropriate to post here since Ryan's illness means the halt of sales of Felix. (Hope all is well Ryan!)

Assuming it is OK, I'll ask the following question.
I recently upgraded Felix from version 1.7.3 to 2.0.0.1 and I've noticed that lookups and other processes in Felix are considerably slower. Some processes seem excruciatingly slow (Something I've never experienced in any other version of Felix).  For example, using [CTRL + ALT + L] in PowerPoint to correct a translation takes as long as 10 seconds. A regular [ALT + right arrow] used to be nearly instantaneous, whereas a lookup now seems to take a few seconds (maybe two or three times longer).

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there any easy workarounds?

If the process for getting software approved/installed on my company computer wasn't so cumbersome, I'd just re-install 1.7.3, but I jumped through so many hoops and waited so long to get 2.0.0.1. At this point, I don't want to revert back to 1.7.3.

Thanks,

Brian

Felix 2.0.0.1
Windows 7
MS Office 2013

Alex Koolhof

Dec 11, 2015, 7:04:46 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I too am experiencing this slowness in looking up segments. The review function is extremely slow.

Regards

Alex

Alex Koolhof

Dec 11, 2015, 7:07:47 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Where would users be able to download version 1.7.3, if they wish to revert back? Is this available for download on github?

Alex

Gururaj Rao

Dec 11, 2015, 7:39:18 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
I use Felix 2.0.0.1 on Windows 8.1, mainly with MS Word 2013 (although I have used it with PowerPoint for a few pages) and did not find the slowness that you speak of. I do have some problem though when switching between Review and Translation modes, with a COM error flashing on the screen, but the switching does work.
Maybe it is the difference in versions? (Windows 7 and 8.1)
I do find though that Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro are extremely past compared to Windows 7.1 on my old laptop.

Gururaj Rao
Technical Translator

Gururaj Rao

Ryan Ginstrom

Dec 11, 2015, 9:40:01 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting the slowness and problems switching between modes. I will record those as issues on the bitbucket page.

You can download version 1.7.3 of Felix with the following link:
http://felix-cat.com/media/downloads/Felix_Setup_1.7.3.exe

Generally you should be able to substitute any released version number to download the installer for that version.

Regards,
Ryan

B. Hyman

Dec 11, 2015, 9:55:42 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
I also sometimes get an error when switching between the Review and Translation modes.
I'm still using Felix version 1.7.1.3 on MS-Word 2007.
I find that shutting down and restarting MS-Word is the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem.

Regards,

Brian (Hyman)

Charles Aschmann

Dec 11, 2015, 9:59:10 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
I am not experiencing any slowdowns in Felix 2.0.0.1
I have Windows 7 on an older but fairly powerful desktop. Lookup is
almost instantaneous. I am using it with Word 2007. Could the slowness
vary by Word version?

Charles Aschmann

Gururaj Rao

Dec 11, 2015, 10:30:25 PM12/11/15
to felix...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Gururaj Rao <honya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe it is the difference in versions? (Windows 7 and 8.1)
I do find though that
​​
Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro are extremely past compared to Windows 7.1 on my old laptop.

​That should have been:  ​

​....
Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro are extremely
​f
ast
​ ​
compared to Windows 7.1