No menu/toolbar after new installation

Jeremy Angel

Nov 3, 2013, 6:17:31 PM11/3/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Probably not a Felix problem at all. I'm using a Windows 8 machine that I had to "refresh" after upgrading to 8.1, owing to failure to boot. (After refresh, I haven't upgraded to 8.1!)

Anyway, I installed the latest version of Felix, but get no menu/toolbar in Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
No sign whatsoever of the add-in, either enabled or not, in the Add-in box. I use Office 2010, by the way.

I also installed PowerPoint2doc with the same results. Nothing showing on the menu bar. In the past, the add-in tab would have appeared in the ribbon, with Felix showing in it when clicked. FWIW, I checked, and the add-in tab is enabled. Security settings for add-ins also unticked.
Luckily other add-ins (that don't use the add-in tab) such as Adobe PDF maker and Dragon NaturallySpeaking are loading and behaving normally.

As I said, it looks like an Office problem rather than Felix, but I've never encountered it before. Probably a case of appalling ignorance, but if Ryan or anyone else can shed light on the mystery, I'd be very grateful.

--
Jeremy Angel
Nagano, Japan

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 4, 2013, 11:01:36 AM11/4/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Jeremy Angel
> Anyway, I installed the latest version of Felix, but get no menu/toolbar in
> Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
> No sign whatsoever of the add-in, either enabled or not, in the Add-in box. I
> use Office 2010, by the way.
>
> I also installed PowerPoint2doc with the same results. Nothing showing on
> the menu bar. In the past, the add-in tab would have appeared in the ribbon,
> with Felix showing in it when clicked. FWIW, I checked, and the add-in tab is
> enabled. Security settings for add-ins also unticked.
> Luckily other add-ins (that don't use the add-in tab) such as Adobe PDF
> maker and Dragon NaturallySpeaking are loading and behaving normally.

To confirm, when you go to Word Options >> Add-Ins, you see "Felix Addin" listed under "Add-ins?"

Regards,
Ryan

Ryan Ginstrom
Felix Computer Assisted Translation
sup...@felix-cat.com
http://felix-cat.com/

Jeremy Angel

Nov 4, 2013, 6:40:37 PM11/4/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,
Nope, no Felix add-in. At first I installed an earlier version I had stored locally, and when no add-in appeared to load, I installed the latest version, but still no Felix.
Sorry to pester. I tried sending the log, but despite setting Outlook as standard email program, that doesn't work either.
FWIW, I just launched Felix and then Word in turn, and looked at the Felix log. I don't know whether it's of any significance, but 2 lines immediately following "Ensuring HTML files" read "Window is not visible; ignoring menu checkmark"

Luckily I have Felix running properly on a separate Windows 7 machine, and I just launched Felix there and checked the log. No  "Window is not visible; ignoring menu checkmark" lines, so may well be significant?
Since I do have Felix working properly on another machine, my need is not that urgent, but I would still like to solve this riddle if possible.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

.

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 4, 2013, 7:10:11 PM11/4/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Jeremy Angel
> Nope, no Felix add-in. At first I installed an earlier version I had stored locally,
> and when no add-in appeared to load, I installed the latest version, but still
> no Felix.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If Felix doesn't appear in that list, can you try going back to the Add-Ins tab, and at the bottom of the page, setting "Manage" to "Disabled Items," and clicking Go? If Felix is in the list, enable it.

I have not yet tested Felix with Windows 8.1, so I will have to do that ASAP.

Jeremy Angel

Nov 4, 2013, 9:26:09 PM11/4/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting back.
Unfortunately Felix isn't in that list (nor is anything else).
BTW, I'm now using Windows 8, not 8.1. (One bitten, twice shy! I'll wait a bit, despite reminders from MS).
Felix was working fine in Windows 8.0 until I did the Refresh and had to re-install all "non-Metro" programs.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Ryan Ginstrom

Nov 8, 2013, 1:27:18 AM11/8/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> On Behalf Of Jeremy Angel
> Unfortunately Felix isn't in that list (nor is anything else).
> BTW, I'm now using Windows 8, not 8.1. (One bitten, twice shy! I'll wait a bit,
> despite reminders from MS).
> Felix was working fine in Windows 8.0 until I did the Refresh and had to re-
> install all "non-Metro" programs.

Sorry about the late response.

One possible fix is to create another account on the computer with admin privileges, and install Felix from that account. The Windows security mechanism appears to get confused sometimes, and there is no (published) way to straighten it out. I've seen reports where installing from another account fixed mysterious issues like this one.

Jeremy Angel

Nov 9, 2013, 4:04:49 PM11/9/13
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,
Thanks for getting back. I uninstalled and re-installed under a new admin account, but unfortunately the same results.
I get the same line in the log: ""Window is not visible; ignoring menu checkmark"
Since I appear to be an isolated case, I presume that this is not a Felix problem, so please don't worry about it any more.
I'll let you know if and when I manage to fix it!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Message has been deleted

Ryan Ginstrom

Dec 17, 2014, 4:55:51 PM12/17/14
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moreen:

Unfortunately, Felix only works with the 32-bit version of MS Office. (It works fine with 64-bit Windows)

If you installed Office from a CD, you can reinstall it and select the 32-bit option. If it was pre-installed, then you would have to buy a new copy of Office.

Regards,
Ryan

Ryan Ginstrom
Felix Computer Assisted Translation
sup...@felix-cat.com
http://felix-cat.com/

Gururaj Rao

Dec 17, 2014, 6:02:55 PM12/17/14
to felix...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Ryan Ginstrom <sup...@felix-cat.com> wrote:
32-bit version of MS Office

​I was curious about the difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office and went a-hunting. Here's what MS says:

​QUOTE----------​

The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office programs aren’t compatible, so you can’t install both on the same computer. If you have two versions of Office, they must both be either 32- or 64-bit.

The 32-bit version of Office works well with both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of Windows. Office automatically installs the 32-bit version unless you already have a 64-bit version of Office on your computer.

If you work with extremely large data sets, such as enterprise-scale Excel workbooks with complex calculations, the 64-bit version of Office may perform better for you. However, it has the following limitations:

  • Solutions using ActiveX controls library, ComCtl controls won’t work.

  • Third-party ActiveX controls and add-ins won’t work.

  • Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) contains the Declare statement work in the 64-bit version of Office only if you update the code manually.

  • Compiled Access databases, like .MDE and .ACCDE files, won’t work unless they’re specifically written for the 64-bit version of Office.

  • In SharePoint, the list view won’t be available.

UNQUOTE---------------------------

I just checked; my SP3 came installed with 32-bit version of Office 2013.
I'm curious though: will Word macros that I used earlier in Office 2007 work seamlessly in 2013 (32-bit version) as well?

Regards,

Gururaj Rao

Moreen O'Brien

Dec 17, 2014, 7:35:29 PM12/17/14
to felix...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

Ah, OK, good to know! Thank you!

Cheers,
Moreen

Ryan Ginstrom

Dec 17, 2014, 7:41:17 PM12/17/14
to felix...@googlegroups.com
> us...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Gururaj Rao
> If you work with extremely large data sets, such as enterprise-scale Excel
> workbooks with complex calculations, the 64-bit version of Office may
> perform better for you.

Right, generally if you are editing files greater than a GB in size, 64-bit may be the best choice. Otherwise, you should choose 32-bit.

> I just checked; my SP3 came installed with 32-bit version of Office 2013.
> I'm curious though: will Word macros that I used earlier in Office 2007 work
> seamlessly in 2013 (32-bit version) as well?

Yes, macros should still work with no problems. There are sometimes some minor compatibility issues between versions, such as the numbers of text colors supported, but for most cases it should be fine.