Feedburner not updating

David Bates

Jul 19, 2022, 5:34:07 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
My original feed is:

...and this is served via Feedburner via:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheEagleAndChildPodcast

...however, it's not showing the episode which was published today, "The Medieval Mind of C.S. Lewis" which serves the audio file PWJ-S5E55.mp3.

Any ideas? I've pinged and resynced, but Feedburner is not updating.

Cheers,

David

Brian Walker

Jul 19, 2022, 5:45:32 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi David,

The pinging to force an update on FeedBurner is currently not working as we are midway through the migration to a new tech stack that should complete next week. The new UX will have a working ping functionality. The feed should update on its own every couple of hours without a ping. Your feed is currently marked as needing to be updated. It should reflect any changes within the next hour or so.

David Bates

Jul 19, 2022, 5:46:13 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Good to know, thanks.

David Bates

Jul 19, 2022, 9:02:15 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
FYI, three hours later and it hasn't been updated yet.

Brian Walker

Jul 19, 2022, 9:22:28 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi David,

I'll need to look into this deeper tomorrow.  I see that it definitely did attempt an update but I do see that it is missing the newest episode.  I'll get back to you ASAP as soon as I have some news.

David Bates

Jul 19, 2022, 10:27:21 PM7/19/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Thanks :)

David Bates

Jul 20, 2022, 10:05:37 AM7/20/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
It has refreshed!

However, I do notice that the Title/Description burner no longer seems to be being applied. Is that being decomissioned?

Brian Walker

Jul 20, 2022, 3:47:52 PM7/20/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Initially, yes, that was the plan was to deprecate the title and description burner. However, we will be implementing this as it has larger repercussions for podcasters since they can have their feeds removed from podcatchers if their description or title disappears. We are working on getting this done now and shouldn't take too long.

David Bates

Jul 20, 2022, 4:10:33 PM7/20/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Great, so I don't need to action anything. Thanks.

David Bates

Jul 21, 2022, 8:14:57 AM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
So a new episode went live a couple of hours ago and I'm not seeing it on the feed. Is it just going to be slow to update for the next couple of weeks?

Brian Walker

Jul 21, 2022, 11:50:50 AM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hmm.. It should update much faster than that. We run an update pipeline every hour and feeds have around a 2 hour staleness. It should not take 4 hours to update. I'll look into this deeper.  I can manually update this feed but if there is a bug it will help me hunt it down.  Can you give me a couple of hours to see if I can dig into what is happening with this feed?  Worst case, I'll manually update it after that.

Matti nescio

Jul 21, 2022, 12:24:32 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 15:14:57 UTC+3 davidle...@gmail.com wrote:
So a new episode went live a couple of hours ago and I'm not seeing it on the feed. Is it just going to be slow to update for the next couple of weeks?

You don't by any chance have caching enabled on your bluehost hosted wordpress  site ?
With plugin-based caching, it would be visible in bottom of the source of each page,
but unsure how exactly Bluehost have implemented theirs.

David Parod

Jul 21, 2022, 12:26:00 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian, I'm curious, is the hourly pipeline and 2 hours of staleness new?  As for us, Feedburner previously would take 15-20 minutes to display new episodes and a resynch would be almost immediate.   But for the past 2 days, we've seen Feedburner take 3+ hours to update our feed, and a resynch doesn't seem to make it any faster.  So I'm wondering if these delays are going to be the new norm going forward.

Brian Walker

Jul 21, 2022, 12:32:46 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
The refresh button isn't working at the moment. We are in a strange state where we have a new backend that doesn't have all the features of the old FeedBurner and an old front end that still displays all the features.  We had to stagger the launch of the new UX from the new backend for a variety of reasons. We will have a new UX that is launching in the next few days and the ping/refresh button will work again and it will be immediate. I had to double check, the staleness is actually 1 hour not 2, but that update cadence is new.  Without going into too much detail we had to change how feeds update on a regular basis. We may adjust this to a narrower window once we have everything launched but in general a 1 hour window with the ability to refresh as needed should accommodate the vast majority of feeds.

So going forward, feeds will refresh on their own roughly every hour and if you want to update immediately because of a new post or podcast you can refresh immediately as you can do now on FeedBurner. That is just broken for the next few days but will be working again very shortly as we know that is important to people

David Bates

Jul 21, 2022, 12:38:27 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I do have Jetpack's "Site Accelerator" turned on which will "Load pages faster by allowing Jetpack to optimize your images and serve your images and static files (like CSS and JavaScript) from our global network of servers."

However, I'm not particularly clear why it should make any difference. If the source feed (https://www.pintswithjack.com/category/podcast/feed/)  is returning the episode in its feed, then surely Feedburner (http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheEagleAndChildPodcast) should too? I've looked at the response headers from the source feed and see no reason to think that Feedburner should be hanging onto a stale response:
  • cache-control:
  • no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0

David Parod

Jul 21, 2022, 12:40:28 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Understood. Thanks for the info!

Matti nescio

Jul 21, 2022, 12:46:31 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 19:38:27 UTC+3 davidle...@gmail.com wrote:
I do have Jetpack's "Site Accelerator" turned on

Considering that plugins like W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache have
previously stopped Feedburner feed from updating, even when
the Original Feed does,  would not surprised if Site Accelerator does the same.
Can you at least disable it for feed URLs only ?

Also , this looks interesting :  :)

Brian Walker

Jul 21, 2022, 1:02:26 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hey David, this cache issue might be something to look at. I just looked at the feed results we get back from our crawl and it doesn't include your newest episodes. Which would explain why it doesn't seem to be updating. We seem to be getting back a stale response from the GET request for your feed.  The newest episode in the response is S5E55.

Mat Murray

Jul 21, 2022, 2:39:02 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian!

Firstly, a big thanks for helping so many people here! It can't be easy.

My question is about the depreciation of <title> and <description> at the moment. This has meant my podcasts have been removed from Spotify, and the shows no longer have a name in Apple Podcasts.

Do you have a rough ETA in terms of when we should expect this stuff to be brought back in?

Thanks!

Mat.

Brian Walker

Jul 21, 2022, 2:43:54 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Mat,

I hesitate to give any sort of timeline since engineering is notoriously difficult to gauge. I will say we are working on it now and should be out the door quite quickly.  Send me an email with your feed and I will put the feed that was removed back on the old stack until we get the title/description fixed. At least for now that will ensure you are back on Apple and Spotify until we get the fix out.

Mat Murray

Jul 21, 2022, 2:48:45 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Oh that would be amazing! Thanks ever so much. What is your email? Apologies, I can't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks,

Mat.

Brian Walker

Jul 21, 2022, 2:52:58 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Oh, maybe it doesn't show up in the posting.  feedburn...@google.com

I'll put it in right away but it can take several hours to propagate.

Mat Murray

Jul 21, 2022, 2:56:25 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Awesome, thanks.

Just emailed you the two feed addresses. Thanks once again!

Mat.

David Bates

Jul 21, 2022, 4:10:15 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I've turned off all the caching I can find. Let's see if it updates...

David Bates

Jul 21, 2022, 4:43:59 PM7/21/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Okay, just had the feed update. I should be able to eventually turn back on caching, right?

Jan Happy

Oct 5, 2022, 2:09:53 AM10/5/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Pinging the feed URL to force an update still is not working, right? I tried to update my podcasts url http://feeds.feedburner.com/drumandbass_de_podcast and it's still showing august as the last build update whereas my source https://drumandbass.de/podcast/podcast.xml definitively is updated...

David Bates

Oct 5, 2022, 7:06:21 AM10/5/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Mine works fine now. I'd suggest creating a fresh thread.

Jan Happy

Oct 5, 2022, 7:52:53 AM10/5/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
So as soon as you use http://ping.feedburner.com to re-crawl your xml the feed on feedburner is updated? This definitively works not for me and has not worked for the last several months...

David Bates

Oct 5, 2022, 7:56:39 AM10/5/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I wouldn't quite say "as soon as", but yes, soon after hitting it my feed refreshes.

Brian Walker

Oct 5, 2022, 12:07:27 PM10/5/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
ping.feedburner.com does not work any longer. That is part of the old legacy FeedBurner infrastructure. You will need to force refresh your feed from the FeedBurner homepage. You can click the "Refresh feed" in the overflow menu for the feed you wish to refresh.

Mayhem

Dec 4, 2022, 1:15:32 PM12/4/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian,

Any plans to update feedburner so we can pragmatically ping and update our feed without having to go to the feedburner homepage?

Janine Economides

Dec 7, 2022, 9:33:47 PM12/7/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I write a blog six days a week, have done so for over a decade.  But starting a few weeks ago, Feedburner stopped updating.  I also use the RSS with mailchimp to send out emails to subscribeers, so when Feedburner stopped updating, my emails stopped as well.  I can "manually" refresh by going to Feedburner site and clicking "Refresh" but when is this going to be fixed?  Is it going to be fixed?

Janine Economides

Dec 7, 2022, 9:35:26 PM12/7/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
PS I use Blogger.com software for my blog

Janine Economides

Dec 8, 2022, 12:08:44 PM12/8/22
to FeedBurner Help Group