I'd like to update the origin URL for my feed

L P

Aug 23, 2022, 4:42:02 AM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I have a feed on feedburner, /motopodcast, and it is in 301 redirect mode. I'd like to update the URL for the 301 redirect, but I can't seem to do that. I've activated proxy mode, then changed the URL, and then deactivated proxy mode, but the 301 redirect is still pointing to the original (old, incorrect) URL.

The old url is https://www.motopodcast.com/podcasts/feed.xml, but I'd like the 301 redirect to point to https://motopodcast.com/feed.xml (no www and no /podcasts/)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian Walker

Aug 23, 2022, 10:41:56 AM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group

That should do the trick. If you change the source url and then click "Save", then "Deactivate" from the overflow menu it should redirect to the new url.  Make sure you click 'Save' after changing the source url.

L P

Aug 23, 2022, 1:18:25 PM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian,

I previously did what you suggested and it didn't alter the redirect URL. I just did it again, and the redirect is still to the old URL. Do I need to wait for an "update cycle" between saving the new URL and deactivating the proxy?

Thanks,
Len

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 19.13.21.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-23 at 19.15.36.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-23 at 19.13.21.png

Brian Walker

Aug 23, 2022, 2:54:02 PM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
It looks like everything is set up properly and it is indeed forwarding. If you type in https://feeds.feedburner.com/motopodcast in your browser you will see it redirect to the correct address. I suspect I know why curl is returning a different result and that should be fixed by end of the week.  For the sake of podcatchers, requesting your feed should give you the correct xml file.

L P

Aug 23, 2022, 2:57:58 PM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
There are further redirects on my side, I think that is what makes the browser end up in the right place, after a few more redirects. I’ll wait and see what happens later this week.

Thanks,
Len

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:55:35 GMT
Expires: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:55:35 GMT
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
Server: GSE
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Accept-Ranges: none
Vary: Accept-Encoding

HTTP/2 301
date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:55:35 GMT
server: Apache
content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

HTTP/2 301
date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:55:36 GMT
server: Apache
cache-control: max-age=600
expires: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:05:36 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

HTTP/2 200
date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:55:36 GMT
server: Apache
last-modified: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 08:01:05 GMT
etag: "178f4-5e6e3f75713c1"
accept-ranges: bytes
content-length: 96500
cache-control: max-age=172800
expires: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:55:36 GMT
vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
content-type: application/xml

Brian Walker

Aug 23, 2022, 3:14:50 PM8/23/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
I just double checked the database and confirmed that it is showing the correct source url, the one without the /podcast/.  So things did save correctly. Not to get too complicated but both FeedBurners are still up and running. We forward requests from the old to the new. This is just for launch purposes so we have a way to revert things if something goes sideways.  The curl seems to be getting a response from the old FeedBurner (it is missing the FeedBurnerV2 header), which won't have the new updates source url.  We are moving traffic permanently this week so it won't redirect any longer. That should fix this issue.

Was this feed newly shutdown or has it been shutdown (redirected) for a while now? Feeds that were previously shutdown may not be redirecting to the new service and thus wouldn't see any new updates.

L P

Aug 24, 2022, 2:20:28 AM8/24/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Thanks for the explanaiton. This feed has been redirected since about October 2021, so that matches. It isn't super important, I'm just trying to clean up loose ends before I forget about them.

L P

Sep 2, 2022, 2:41:04 AM9/2/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian,

I waited through last week and this week before following up. I don't know if the migration you mentioned has happened, but our feed is still the same. It isn't being served by the new feedburnerv2, so the redirect URL hasn't been updated to https://motopodcast.com/feed.xml.

Thanks for any help,
Len

###

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

Location: https://www.motopodcast.com/podcasts/feed.xml

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 06:37:27 GMT

Expires: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 06:37:27 GMT

Cache-Control: private, max-age=0

Server: GSE

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Accept-Ranges: none

Vary: Accept-Encoding

###

Brian Walker

Sep 6, 2022, 11:43:55 AM9/6/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
It has not happened yet. We had to push it due to vacations in the office. We are testing out the changes now and if things look good we will start the migration today.

L P

Sep 6, 2022, 11:45:26 AM9/6/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Cool, thanks.

L P

Sep 12, 2022, 1:56:41 AM9/12/22
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian,
Just checking on this as I haven't seen any change yet.
Thanks