Issue with RSS Feed

Kev and Steves Indie Publishing Adventure

Jan 13, 2023, 12:14:08 PM1/13/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
We have used this feed for the past decade

Suddenly it has stopped updating as of the 30th. We published new episodes on spreaker and our spreaker RSS feed is https://www.spreaker.com/show/2146594/episodes/feed - this pushes out to spotify and the like, but also is read by feedburner traditionally, which then feeds apple and so forth for us.

None of the platforms dependent on the feedburner.com link have updated this week. I tried to claim the podcast on itunes to see if there was a cause  on their end, but I can't do so without updating the copywrite details in the feeds.feedburner.com feed. When I try to log into feeds.feedburner.com it says it isn't active and feedburner.google.com says we don't have any active feeds at all. Has the infrastructure moved from feeds.feedburner.com without moving the rss feeds over to our accounts? Or is there something I need to do to manage this?

Brian Walker

Jan 13, 2023, 3:21:24 PM1/13/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
I took a look at the feed and it looks like we attempted to crawl the feed 10 times but each time we received a 403 response from Spreaker.  I'm not sure why it would be returning a 403 for us, when I attempt to request it from a browser it appears fine.  I'll try to refresh on my end to see if that will work.

FeedBurner has been updated and is no longer running off the old infrastructure but the domain is the same. You should have access to all your feeds at https://www.feedburner.com. If you don't see any feeds then the feed is associated with another Google account.  Once in your account you can also force refresh your feed which will happen immediately unless an error occurs.

Brian Walker

Jan 13, 2023, 3:26:31 PM1/13/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
The manual refresh on my end worked.  We have a max limit of the number of times that a feed can error out before we stop trying to crawl it.  The manual refresh will reset the counter so it should start trying to update again on a regular basis. However, I'm still unsure why we were receiving a 403 from Spreaker unless your feed was down for some time.

Kev and Steves Indie Publishing Adventure

Jan 13, 2023, 10:25:23 PM1/13/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
Perfect, thank you Brian I really appreciate your efforts on this!

Kev and Steves Indie Publishing Adventure

Jan 13, 2023, 10:32:12 PM1/13/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
I will enquire with Spreaker - one thing I can't seem to fix is that the RSS feed says copywrite 2020 and doesn't seem to update to the new copywrite details. Which is something Apple are asking me to sort, to prove ownership of the podcast. It also has old categories listed which we've been trying to update to no avail.

Kev and Steves Indie Publishing Adventure

Jan 23, 2023, 1:53:08 PM1/23/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
Hi Brian, so this week we put the episode out as normal expecting all to be fine and we had the same issue whereby the podcast did not release to iTunes. It did eventually - but we're not sure why there was a considerable delay compared to normal. Are you able to verify whether there were more 403 errors from Spreaker? If there were, are there any additional notes I can pass to them to get them to understand why that is happening and hopefully fix the issue?

Brian Walker

Jan 23, 2023, 4:26:01 PM1/23/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
We don't have a log of issues on a per feed basis. I only see what the last error received was but not a series of errors indicating the timing of those errors.  As for the delay, it wouldn't be unusual to see a delay of an hour or two.  How long of a delay are you experiencing?

Kev and Steves Indie Publishing Adventure

Feb 12, 2023, 6:31:20 AM2/12/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
We released this weeks episode at 4pm saturday (yesterday) and it’s now 11:30 Sunday and the feed has not been updated on iTunes and all of the platforms that utilise the feedburner feed. It can take an hour or so at times but this seems like an error again. We’re not sure how to overcome it. Are there still errors? Is there a way we can monitor these ourselves? I tried logging in to feedburner but can’t find an account on any of our details that enables us to manage it.

Brian Walker

Feb 12, 2023, 6:46:56 AM2/12/23
to FeedBurner Help Group
You are correct, there was another 10 crawl failures on the feed. I did another force refresh and it updated successfully.  The error is showing another 5XX error, which is an internal error. This could be caused by several things but Spreaker would have to give you some more details as to why the serve would be returning that response.

When you say you don't see any details when you log in to FeedBurner do you mean you don't see the feed at all under your account or the errors associated with it?  We don't surface those errors at the moment. It is something we would like to do in the future but I couldn't when or if that will happen.

You should be able to do a manual refresh of your feed, the same thing I'm doing on my end, to get it working again if it errors out.  If you log in to FeedBurner and click on the overflow menu on the far right for the feed in question it will have an option to manually refresh it. That will clear all the errors as well so it will start updating again.