Alternatives to Deprecated Move / Copy API

Cael H

Aug 17, 2022, 10:48:16 AM8/17/22
to Fedora Community
Hi All,

Planning to upgrade Fedora Version from 5.0 to 6.0+ but found out the API for Move and Copy has been removed. RESTful HTTP API - Containers - Fedora 5.0 Documentation - LYRASIS WikiCapture.JPG
Is there an substitution for this API? Thanks for help.

bbpennel

Aug 18, 2022, 4:54:05 PM8/18/22
to Fedora Community
There is not a replacement for either of these operations. They would need to be recreated by doing a GET of the contents of the original resource(s), then PUT or POST them to the new path(s), and then doing a DELETE on the original object in the case of a MOVE operation. If using a PUT operation, the "Prefer: handling=lenient" header can be helpful so you don't need to do any special processing of RDF before roundtripping it to the new path. See https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/FEDORA6x/Server+Managed+Triples

I don't recall the reason for the removal of these operations, although I don't think there was much known usage and they are not standard HTTP methods. Someone else may be able to provide more context.

Cael H

Aug 24, 2022, 1:36:11 PM8/24/22
to Fedora Community
Thanks for the input. Seems like it will be a nightmare if I want to move/reassign a container with a lot of children/grandchildren to a different container in Fedora 6.0+. Was looking into side-loading to see if the MOVE operation can be replicated as per Fedora 5.0.

If anyone has any input/suggestions, I would highly appreciate it.

Cheers