Caching fedora with Varnish or other frontend

Dan Pritts

May 19, 2021, 2:00:16 PM5/19/21
to fedora-c...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We have a repository which acts as a backend for our production web site. I think that caching Fedora's responses is probably low-hanging fruit to significantly improve our performance.

I've poked through the mailing lists, and found occasional mention of varnish, but no specifics of any implementations.

We're stuck at fedora 4.7.5, as we use versions.

Looking through the API documentation, our code that hits the repo, and our server logs, I think a cache strategy should be fairly straightforward. That said, I'd appreciate it if anyone who's done this before, and/or folks who know the API inside & out, could comment.

  • invalidate cached paths whenever there is a PUT, PATCH, MOVE, DELETE (in our case, we don't use MOVE).
    • PATCHing to revert to a different version may need special handling (I don't think we do this, either).
  • most POSTs are creating new objects, so no need to worry about invalidating cached objects
    • POSTs for /rest/fcr can also be ignored, I think
    • except perhaps for
  • must handle transactions properly
    • nothing terribly difficult here, just need to handle it.

Of course, if you've got a working varnish or other cache config, please, do tell. :)

thanks
danno

Dan Pritts
Devops Lead