Announcing: Fedora 6.0 Release Candidate

Arran Griffith

Jun 4, 2021, 9:24:59 AM6/4/21
to fedora-c...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fedora Community!

We are so excited to be sharing this news with you today - the long awaited Fedora 6.0 Release Candidate is ready! The Release Candidate announcement means we are nearing the end stages of almost two years of commitment and dedication from the team and our devoted community members as we head toward a full production release of the software. Please join me in celebrating this major accomplishment!

The Fedora 6.0.0 release candidate is available for testing. Pending any issues discovered in the testing of the release candidate, the 6.0.0 release is planned for June 18, 2021.

The following is a list of 31 updates since our 6.0.0-beta1 release (late February 2021):

https://fedora-repository.atlassian.net/issues/?filter=10007

There are several ways you can test this release candidate:

1) Download the one-click-run (fcrepo-webapp-6.0.0-RC-1-jetty-console.jar):

2) Run in docker:

  • docker run -p8080:8080 --name=fcrepo6 fcrepo/fcrepo:6.0.0-RC-1

A very special acknowledgement goes to the following individuals who have gone above and beyond during the development process. They have certainly earned their titles as “Committers” both in terms of development and content, but also because of the countless hours they have devoted to helping to produce a quality product for our community.

  • Daniel Bernstein - LYRASIS
  • Andrew Woods - Harvard University
  • Jared Whiklo - University of Manitoba
  • Peter Winckles - University of Wisconsin-Madison
  • Ben Pennell - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • Ben Cail - Brown University

Thank you again to everyone for helping us reach this momentous milestone. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for information about an upcoming Release Party as well as specialized communications surrounding Production Release news.

For now... it’s time to celebrate!

Cheers,
Arran Griffith
---
Fedora Program Coordinator

Fedora is an open-source, community-supported program funded entirely by membership contributions. Learn more and become a member today!