Mounting FED3 to a horizontal 80/20 frame for overhead pellet drop — anyone thought about this?

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Sky Shi

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 10:47:41 AMSep 16
to FEDforum

Hi all,

I'm brainstorming ideas for adapting FED3 for a rodent random foraging task — pellets dispensed automatically every 2 minutes with no nose-poke contingency, into an open-field arena below. My frame is a horizontal 80/20 extrusion rig that also holds overhead light and a camera, and I'm thinking of mounting a FED3 that could drop pellets straight down to the floor rather than into the on-board well.

I wonder if anyone has had similar thoughts before, since I've seen a design of a modified nosepiece that lets a pellet drop straight through instead of resting in the well:
https://groups.google.com/g/fedforum/c/Jk4Gv8IkCcA/m/c4nG-fd-BgAJ
This helped with the dropping problem. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the best way to mount it onto a horizontal 80/20 frame, with easy access to take it off for charging.

I also saw this side-wall-mounting design (Cage insert to protect FED3 | Details | Hackaday.io), and wonder if I could do a similar thing but place magnets on the bottom cover instead, then position FED3 at the edge of a sheet/plate, and mount that sheet/plate to the 80/20 rail.

Thank you all in advance!

Sky

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages