FED wont enter boot loader mode

Megan McGraw

Jul 14, 2023, 4:58:49 PM7/14/23
to FEDforum
Hi all,

I have gotten around to setting up our 17 new FEDs and out of those 17, 5 of them won't enter the bootloader mode, the other 12 are flashed and ready to go. I have the USB in the right port, the device is on, and I double click the button each time. The red light does not oscillate/flash like it is supposed to. The orange light comes on when the USB is plugged in to the inner port as normal so it doesn't seem to be that connection. I checked all the devices when they first arrived and the base code they came with works on all of them so I didn't have a reason to suspect any issues. Outside of not being able to flash my code they work fine. Are there any workarounds or solutions people have come across?

Thanks,
Megan

Lex

Jul 15, 2023, 10:52:58 AM7/15/23
to Megan McGraw, FEDforum
Hi Megan!  There are a couple more things you can try to figure out what's going on.
1) The simplest idea is to try a new USB cable, sometimes it's just a finicky cable.
2) Assuming it's not the USB cable, you'll want to figure out whether the problem is with the Adalogger board or with the FED3 circuit board.  To do this, remove the Adalogger board from one of the troublesome FED3s and see if you can flash the Adalogger while it's not installed in the FED3.  If you can flash it this would suggest the issue is with the FED3 board.  You can then confirm this by swapping in an Adalogger from a working FED3 onto a non-functioning one - if the problem still persists with the working Adalogger you'll know for sure it's something to do with the FED3 board.  A few months ago I recorded a video on how to do this!

Can you try those?  I presume once you figure out what the issue is you can get reimbursed or replacements from OEPS.  Post back if you figure it out! -Lex

Hamid Taghipourbibalan

Jul 16, 2023, 11:48:51 AM7/16/23
to Megan McGraw, FEDforum
Hello!
We had the very same problem with some of our FED units(purchased in late 2022), it appears to be an issue with that tiny button on the board! I suggest, instead of double-clicking, just try to press the button several times in a row such that finally it would get 2 "real" clicks in a row! For instance, instead of a single "double click", try 5 or 6 clicks in a row or different combinations of clicks close to each other(different clicking frequencies or pressing the button a bit harder), it is really annoying indeed, but worth trying!

Best.

Hamid Taghipourbibalan
Ph.D. Fellow in Behavioral Neuroscience, Mccutcheonlab, UiT, Tromsø, Norway
Contact:+4746566050
Skype ID: htbibalan_1

Megan McGraw

Jul 17, 2023, 6:10:22 PM7/17/23
to FEDforum
Hello!

Hamid, that managed to fix three of them thank you!

Lex, for the other two once I removed the Adalogger board from the FED I was able to flash it and then place it back into the FED. That appeared to work as a good work around. However, should I be concerned about any further issues with the functioning of the FED if there's an issue with the FED3 circuit board? Just curious if there is anything I should be on the lookout for since we are in a tight spot and need to use those FEDs before we can get any replacements.

Thank you!

Megan

Lex Kravitz

Jul 18, 2023, 8:34:06 AM7/18/23
to FEDforum
Thanks for the responses!  I'll bring this up with OEPS to see if there's any quality control they could do on this.  But to answer your question there's nothing wrong with taking the Adalogger off the FED3 PCB to flash it.  It's not super convenient but there's no issue with doing it that way!