New disk design for FED3

Jordyn Czarny

May 20, 2024, 3:10:37 PMMay 20
to FEDforum
Hi all! I'm a grad student in the Kravitz lab and we have been testing a new disk design for FED3 that is easier to install and remove for cleaning. Importantly, there is no longer a melty step to install the brass insert! It takes ~2 minutes to update to the new disk, and it doesn't require disassembling FED3. Steps:
  • Print the new disk (STL attached, TinkerCAD design here)
  • Loosen the set screw and remove the old disk (requires a 1.5mm hex driver).
  • Install a 5mm to 5mm Brass Shaft Coupler onto FED3 motor (secure with M3 set screw)
  • Place the new disk on the brass coupler
  • Secure the disk with an M3x6mm bolt
We've also recorded a short video documenting the process. Please post back if you try this, we'd love to get feedback from others on this new design!

Alison Kreisler

Jun 26, 2024, 5:42:34 PMJun 26
to FEDforum
Is this new disk available for purchase? I'd love to replace ours but don't have easy 3D printing access. Thanks!

Lex Kravitz

Jul 2, 2024, 10:00:09 AMJul 2
to FEDforum
Hi Alison,
This part is not for sale, but you can print it at Shapeways.com (or any other commercial 3D printing site, Shapeways tends to be on the pricer side but in my experience has excellent quality control).  I'd recommend printing in Nylon PA12 on a MultiJet Fusion (MJF) printer - that usually produces great results.  I just uploaded it at Shapeways and they can do it for $10 plus shipping.

Untitled.png

Also note that this part hasn't been extensively tested by many labs so please try it with a couple of your FEDs before you convert them all.  And if you do print and test it please write back here with your experience - it will help me tune things and make sure it's reliable.  Thanks!  -Lex
New FED3 Disk 2024.stl