IV Self-administration

Lydia Bailey

Nov 19, 2022, 6:29:07 PM11/19/22
to FEDforum
Hi everyone! My lab is looking at buying some FED3 devices to do food and/or drug IV self-administration. I was curious if anyone has set up the device to do this, and if so, is it very difficult to do? We don't usually use mouse models and don't want to spend a fortune on mouse self-administration boxes.

Thanks!
Lydia

Lex

Nov 19, 2022, 9:35:38 PM11/19/22
to Lydia Bailey, FEDforum
Hi Lydia!  Yup you can use FED3 for this!  You'll need a syringe pump that can turn on based on a TTL (~3V) pulse, and then FED3 can be programmed activate the pump via its output port.  So you can program the FED3 to turn on the pump for 1s (or whatever time you need) every time the mouse pokes the left poke or completes the necessary poke ratio.

I think the challenge with IV drug self administration will be getting good catheterization surgeries and then training the mice to self-administer.  But the technical part of using a nose-poke to trigger a syringe pump is very straightforward with FED3!  -Lex

Lydia Bailey

May 22, 2023, 5:05:39 PM5/22/23
to FEDforum
Hi again!

Thanks so much. I have it all set up, and thought my code would work but it isn't seeming to.

I have attached a screenshot here of my code, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. If you wouldn't mind taking a quick look it would be much appreciated!

Lydia

Screenshot (1).png

Lex

May 22, 2023, 6:01:23 PM5/22/23
to Lydia Bailey, FEDforum
Hi Lydia!  Can you clarify what isn't working? Does the conditioned stimulus work?  Does the FED3 log data correctly on the SD card?  If so, the code is working up to that point.  The next thing I'd confirm is that you're getting a 2 second 3V pulse when you poke.  Do you have an oscilloscope to confirm this?  If all that works, can you be certain your pump can accept a 3V input as a trigger?  Best, -Lex

Lydia Bailey

Jun 7, 2023, 12:59:38 PM6/7/23
to FEDforum
Hi all, after quite a bit of work with Lex we figured it out! I use a Med associates PHM-100VS pump, which apparently works on a switch control, even though it has the ability to work via TTL. Here is the solution we came up with:

Solder wires (https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-EL-CP-004-Multicolored-Breadboard-arduino/dp/B01EV70C78) onto the 3V, GND, and A0 pins on the device. These wires then connect to a switch closure ( https://www.amazon.com/ARCELI-KY-019-Channel-Module-arduino/dp/B07BVXT1ZK), which also has two wires connecting it to the screw terminals on my pump. Pictures of all of this are below.

When the FED is activated, this turns on the switch closure which completes the circuit and activates the pump.

whole thing.jpg
med control.jpg
switch closure.jpg
soldering.jpg

Jordi Bonaventura

Jul 13, 2023, 5:24:51 AM7/13/23
to FEDforum
Hi all,
I also want to use the FED devices to activate syringe pumps via TTLs. I was wondering if someone else has tried this and have any good alternatives (nice, cheap and trustable) to the Med Associates syiringe pumps.

Thanks!
Jordi

El dia dimecres, 7 de juny de 2023 a les 18:59:38 UTC+2, lydia.b...@gmail.com va escriure:

Matias Andina

Jul 13, 2023, 9:51:43 AM7/13/23
to Jordi Bonaventura, FEDforum

Jordi Bonaventura

Jul 14, 2023, 4:29:22 AM7/14/23
to FEDforum
thanks so much!

El dia dijous, 13 de juliol de 2023 a les 15:51:43 UTC+2, matias...@gmail.com va escriure:

James McCutcheon

Jul 25, 2023, 9:56:35 AM7/25/23
to Jordi Bonaventura, FEDforum
Hi Jordi,

We like these pumps in our lab. They are more flexible than the Med ones and a little cheaper (I think). Not as cheap as the open source versions obviously but a good off-the-shelf option.

They seem to be re-sold by various people. Here is a US and Europe version:

Andrew Kesner

Jul 25, 2023, 10:02:04 AM7/25/23
to James McCutcheon, Jordi Bonaventura, FEDforum
James, do those run on TTL input? E.g you set a rate on the pump and it will run when it gets a TTL (3-5mv?) in, or something like that?

James McCutcheon

Jul 25, 2023, 10:13:11 AM7/25/23
to Andrew Kesner, Jordi Bonaventura, FEDforum
Yep, you have quite a lot of options in how you drive them - we use TTLs to run them at a specific rate but you can also program quite complex "waves" of infusions and/or use RS-232 to send different signals.

Check out the manual here, which is nicely detailed: https://www.syringepump.com/download/NE-1000%20Syringe%20Pump%20User%20Manual.pdf