Why can't I change the date on my FED3?

Alexa Orlich Solorzano

Jul 26, 2024, 1:38:13 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to FEDforum
Hi everyone!

I have been trying to change the date and time on a FED3. I have successfully added the SetClock script that is available on GitHub, and it corrects the date and time on my device. The date and time are also correct after I reflash the code on my device. However, when I turn the device off and on again, the date and time go back to being incorrect. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have to change the date and time on my FED3 every time I turn the device on? How do I save the changes?

Best regards,
Alexa

Lex

Jul 26, 2024, 1:54:32 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to Alexa Orlich Solorzano, FEDforum
Hi Alexa,
FED3 will save the date/time after it's been set one time.  Are you flashing the "SetClock" example and then flashing your FED3 control code? You can find the SetClock and example programs in the FED3 library examples within the Arduino IDE - installing from Aduino instead of Github will make sure you are using the correct libraries, etc.  See video on how to set clock here

If that's all fine, the behavior you're experiencing sounds like the coin cell battery (red arrow below) that powers the RTC might be bad - is your FED a few years old?  That battery lasts ~3 years.  It's a small CR1220, you will need to loosen the screws that secure the circuit board inside to replace it.

image.png
Post back if you figure it out!  -Lex