Recommended protocol for disinfecting FED3 devices before entering an SPF animal facility

30 views
Skip to first unread message

luisosorio...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 2, 2026, 6:33:48 AMSep 2
to FEDforum

Hi everyone, I have a question about bringing previously used FED3 devices into an SPF animal facility.

These devices were previously used in a different animal facility, and I now need to introduce them into a new specific-pathogen-free facility. I have already cleaned the external surfaces with 90% ethanol, while avoiding the electronics and internal circuitry.

Do you have any recommendations or established protocols for disinfecting/decontaminating FED3 devices before bringing them into an SPF facility without damaging the electronics? For example, have you used any particular disinfectant or decontamination procedure successfully?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Matt Gaidica

unread,
Sep 2, 2026, 7:02:58 AMSep 2
to FEDforum
Interesting. Lex might know how people have done this in the past. Biggest issues is that 3D printed enclosures—PLA or Nylon—are porous (ie, compromised in your case). A quick surface cleaning is likely not a true disinfecting method. This is all going to be subject to your institution's regulations, but I would be thinking:
  1.  (option, if able) Print/buy a new enclosure.
  2. Disassemble electronics, clean with isopropyl according to https://neurotechhub.wustl.edu/an-unofficial-fed-cleaning-protocol/.
  3. Soak 3D parts in glutaraldehyde solution for 12 hours (https://www.henryschein.com/us-en/dental/p/infection-control-products/instrument-sterilization-processing/wavicide-germicide/1203619).
Glutaraldehyde soaking is a standard practice for going from non-sterile to sterile (eg, silicone implants), but I can't comment on it ridding all the pathogens you might have encountered or need to control for from the other facility (hence, step #1 being a good practice).

Lex

unread,
Sep 2, 2026, 8:52:16 AMSep 2
to Matt Gaidica, FEDforum
Thanks for the question,and the reply Matt!  

I agree - the nylon or PLA prints are porous and the FED3 devices are not sealed.  Wiping down the outside with ethanol is probably not sufficient.  I would be very cautious about bringing used FED3 devices into an SPF facility.  Is there an SPF facility manager that you can discuss this with?  Presumably they have a protocol for sterilizing and introducing electronic devices or instruments into the facility?  

Good luck with it, and please post back if you learn how to do this!  -Lex

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FEDforum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fedforum+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fedforum/bfd663ca-4b6e-4c56-8a0c-25bfeafbc829n%40googlegroups.com.

James McCutcheon

unread,
Sep 4, 2026, 9:47:19 AMSep 4
to Lex, Matt Gaidica, FEDforum
Our facility used to have a chamber with vaporized hydrogen peroxide that was  fine to put electronics etc through (our computers never suffered). Maybe something like that is available?

Although not sure if even that is good enough given what Lex and Matt said about the porosity of the plastic parts.

Cheers, Jaime

Luis Osorio

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 11:31:38 PMSep 7
to James McCutcheon, Lex, Matt Gaidica, FEDforum
Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions!

I’ll check with our SPF facility team to see what procedures they have in place for bringing electronic equipment into the facility, including whether vaporized hydrogen peroxide or a similar decontamination method is available and suitable for the FED3 devices.

Thanks again, Matt, Lex, and James. I’ll report back with the solution we end up using, as it could be useful for others as well!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages