Federated Social Web in 2014?

Phil Wolff

Jan 10, 2014, 5:43:03 AM1/10/14
to federated-...@googlegroups.com
Themes? Resolutions? Concerns? Events?

Ben Werdmuller

Jan 10, 2014, 1:04:59 PM1/10/14
to federated-social-web

I've been proud of the work that we've done in the IndieWeb community: http://indiewebcamp.com/

Homebrew Website Club is worth visiting in San Francisco / Portland on that topic: http://indiewebcamp.com/events/2014-01-15-homebrew-website-club

This is, of course, in addition to the great work Evan and others continue to do with federated social feeds and engines.

For me, the main resolution is about privacy. I'm already only posting to my site, and syndicating to other sites as a kind of echo; this year I want to make sure that I can post privately, and be sure that only the people who I give permission to view something can see it, in an auditable way. I also want to continue to integrate with the indieweb technologies, but also provide a bridge to pump.io and similar platforms.

I think auditable privacy makes these kinds of platforms useful as business collaboration platforms; many businesses use non-federated platforms or siloed services for this purpose, and I'm convinced there's value in federation for them. I'm going to pursue that avenue as much as I am able.

Would love to hear about what other people have been working on / what they'd like to see!

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Phil Wolff <pwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Themes? Resolutions? Concerns? Events?

Marcus Povey

Jan 10, 2014, 3:29:30 PM1/10/14
to federated-...@googlegroups.com
I think the encrypted webmention, with keys in mf2 as identifiers has got legs, but not had time to hack an end to end prototype (although the idno based code so far is available on github)

--
Marcus Povey : dushka.co.uk
Sent from my mobile device.

Tantek Çelik

Jan 10, 2014, 5:03:09 PM1/10/14
to federated-...@googlegroups.com
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Phil Wolff <pwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Themes? Resolutions? Concerns? Events?

Challenge: Post more* to your own site than you do to mailing lists
like this one.

For example, your original post in this thread Phil, could have been
posted on your own site, and each of our replies could have been
posted as replies on our own sites, linking back to yours.

In fact if you go ahead and do so, it's highly likely Ben, Marcus, and
myself would be happy to post our replies on our own sites linking to
your original post.

Tantek

*Not counting posting of personal permalinks to mailing lists in
POSSE-esque fashion.