jFed Feedback #2519: Question: Create image erases data?

jfedbug...@ilabt.imec.be

May 19, 2021, 9:08:06 AM5/19/21
to jfedbug...@ilabt.imec.be, fed4fire-ex...@googlegroups.com, hra...@wall2.ilabt.iminds.be
The jFed Experimenter GUI sent feedback for user hra...@wall2.ilabt.iminds.be

Feedback:
Type: Question
About: Testbed(s)
Related testbeds: urn:publicid:IDN+wall1.ilabt.iminds.be+authority+cm

I tried creating an image of a node and now when I login into the node, I don't see any of my files. Does creating an image delete existing data? is there a way to retrieve the files, some of which are important?

Wim Van de Meerssche

May 19, 2021, 9:23:52 AM5/19/21
to jfedbug...@ilabt.imec.be, jfed-bu...@intec.ugent.be, hra...@wall2.ilabt.iminds.be, fed4fire-ex...@googlegroups.com
Dear Hemanth Ravuri,

Creating an image does not delete files. But it does reboot the node. Could a reboot have caused data loss in your setup?

Best Regards,
Wim Van de Meerssche
--
Wim Van de Meerssche
Ghent University - imec

Wim Van de Meerssche

May 20, 2021, 9:29:07 AM5/20/21
to fed4fire-ex...@googlegroups.com
Update for anyone on the mailing list interested: The files were lost, because "CreateImage" does in fact remove certain specific files/directories. One of these removed directories is the user home directory (in order to make a clean image without personal user data).

To prevent people being surprised by this, a clear warning will be added to the next release of jFed.

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Hemanth Kumar Ravuri (UGent-imec) <HemanthKu...@ugent.be> wrote:
Dear Wim Van de Meerssche,
Thank you for your quick response.
The node have been rebooted after creating an image. I’m not sure if that deleted the files. But in any case, can I retrieve them somehow?

Best Regards,
Hemanth