Mesh sizing help

Ntamoafo

Oct 5, 2022, 2:58:44 PM10/5/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

Hello,

I am simulating an object that has its thickness larger than that of a unit cell mesh. I am not able to make my mesh smaller due to the computational time. Is there a way to allow FDS to predict the mesh size needed for a simulation to be effective? This is a solid phase. Will FDS still simulate it accurately if the mesh is thicker than the object thickness?

dr_jfloyd

Oct 5, 2022, 3:53:36 PM10/5/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The XB on &OBST defines how many grid cells or grid cell faces are defined as being solid for the fluid calculation. The THICKNESS on &SURF is used for the solid phase heat transfer calculation. So your THICKNESS does not have to be the same as the gird size defined by &MESH. They are independent.

Ntamoafo

Oct 6, 2022, 3:13:30 PM10/6/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi dr_jfloyd thanks for your response. To be sure I understand an example is my object thickness in &SURF is 15mm and a unit cell of my mesh has a z (thickness) of 20mm, meaning the unit cell is larger than the thickness of that object in the computational domain. My goal was to ensure the object has a number of unit cells going through it for accurate calculations. Does this not happening still ensure accurate calculations? Hope its clearer now?

dr_jfloyd

Oct 6, 2022, 6:12:54 PM10/6/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The 1D wall noding is completely independent of the MESH size. The THICKNESS on SURF is independent of the OBST XB. If you have a 10 cm mesh and define a OBST that is 50 cm thick based on XB but assign a SURF with a THICKNESS of 30 cm, the 1D wall noding will be based on the 30 cm THICKNESS and not the 10 cm MESH size or the 50 cm OBST size.

Ntamoafo

Oct 7, 2022, 9:50:35 AM10/7/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Alright. Thank you. How do I see the meshing that FDS uses to solve the solid phase? I saw in a previous discussion with someone else that its in the manual and the .out file but not seeing that information.

dr_jfloyd

Oct 7, 2022, 10:43:37 AM10/7/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Look for the section of the .out file that echoes the MATL and SURF information. For each SURF with a MATL it will give the noding.