Different gases

Ankit Patil

Jan 30, 2023, 5:39:02 AM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Is it possible to identify different gases release from the burning wood in FDS?
please check in attachment, I am sending you my FDS file in txt. and also, is it possible to convert adiabatic condition to non adiabatic condition?
woodpyro2.txt

fde

Jan 30, 2023, 3:18:09 PM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The default products will be water vapor, CO2, soot and CO.  You can meause volume fraction of each by QUANTITY='VOLUME FRACTION' SPEC_ID='SOOT', carbon dioxide, water vapor etc.

If you assign a material to the applied surface (&SURF), then it is no longer an adiabatic (remove ADIABATIC=T as well) surface.

Ankit Patil

Feb 1, 2023, 1:18:40 AM2/1/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Please check in attachment, I am sending you fds file in txt about mention co,co2 but in output file the values of co and co2 is showing zero. Where I need to do changes
pyrolysis of fuel sample_devc.csv
pyrosample co,co2.txt

fde

Feb 1, 2023, 7:25:12 AM2/1/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Solid particles are injected but there is no combustion, therefore the statistics devices might not measure anything. start with simple burner before going into more complex setups.

dr_jfloyd

Feb 1, 2023, 7:44:38 AM2/1/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
You are trying to model pyrolysis. This is an avanced, research usage of FDS. You need to take the time to understand what is happening in your simulations and take the time to understand what every input in you input file means.

You are specifying a simple chemistry reaction. This means you do not need to have the SPEC for CARBON DOXIDE, WATER VAPOR, or CARBON MONOXIDE unless there is some other input where you are producing those species as a single species.
With simple chemistry, FDS create AIR, FUEL, and PRODUCTS. In your case you have a MATL reaction that makes WATER VAPOR, so you do need to have WATER VAPOR as a tracked species.

You have defined that the initial gas in the domain has no CO2, water vapor, or CO. What needs to happen to get CO2 and CO in the domain? The only possible thing in your input file would be for FUEL to burn and make PRODUCTS.  How much CO have you told FDS to make when FUEL burns? Your inputs are that no CO is produced when fuel burns which means you will never have CO.  What about CO2? Your REAC says that you produce 3.4 moles of CO2 per mole of fuel. So if no CO2 is being made, do you have any combustion occuring?  Combustion takes two things, FUEL and OXYGEN. How much OXYGEN do you have in your AIR?  You have set Y_O2_INFTY=0.0000001. If you tried to start a fire in a gas mixture with mass fraction of 1E-7 of oxygen instead of the normal mass fraction of 0.23, would you expect a fire to start.