how to start fire at a time different from 0?

Mohammad Tavakol

Jan 27, 2023, 1:32:37 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello everyone.
I am trying to simulate some field-scale grassland fires but the problem is that the fire starts exactly when the simulation is started and does not let the wind fully develop. So, i would be very thankful if you could help me how to solve this issue. how to start the fire at a desired time?
I am using vents to start the ignition.
Thank you

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 1:47:14 PM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Use a RAMP. More in the FDS User Guide.

Dave Sheppard

Jan 28, 2023, 1:07:45 PM1/28/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
If you want to start a model where there is an existing velocity field, try using a UVWFILE. This functionality is described in the 'Velocity Field' section of the user's guide.

To use this functionality you run a model (with or without a fire) and have the model develop its initial velocity field.  The velocity field in the domain can be saved in a UVWFile.

Then in subsequent models the UVWFile from the first run is used to define the initial velocity field at the start of the model runs.

Mohammad Tavakol

Jan 29, 2023, 4:37:58 PM1/29/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thanks every body. that was really helpful.