Fitting the HRR curve

shiyi....@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2024, 8:18:09 PMMar 8
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Dear all,

Dose anyone have the experience with fit the HRR graph shown below in PyroSim? I'm not sure how to set the duration of HRR at the top value. Do any of you have any experience with this please?

a889c9b4d8c8a6483ed88e6230a8863.png

o...@aquacoustics.biz

Mar 9, 2024, 3:07:29 AMMar 9
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Use an FDS RAMP function for HRR (available in PyroSim).  RAMP functions are explained in the FDS Users Guide.

As an aside, if this is foam furniture then the peak HRR  appears to be way too low.  A useful rule of thumb is 1 MW per seat.  See the EC-CBUF Study.

shiyi....@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2024, 1:22:20 AMMar 10
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

Thank you very much! I'm following your guide to do literature review. By the way, do you know how to make it possible in the model for two different materials to have the possibility of being spread by the flame. (e.g. flames spreading from a sofa to a wooden floor)

Tim O'Brien

Mar 10, 2024, 6:58:16 AMMar 10
to fds...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I know how to do flame spread in FDS.  There is more than one way.  But you will learn more by reading the FDS Users Guide (don’t just scan it - study it) and by experimenting with the many examples that come bundled with the softwar rather than my giving you a solution.

In essence you need to define obstruction surfaces that will ignite and burn at a specified rate, and incorporate an ignition source (something to get the fire started).

Have a look at Section 9 of the Guide (and perhaps 9.1.1).  Have a look at the ‘fires’ example models.  The couch model might be instructive.  This is often one of the first models that new FDS users run.  Ignore the bun-away feature.  Find the ignition source.  Study the material properties to understand why the couch burns and why the fire spreads.

I attach a model of a rack fire complete with sprinkler protection.  The model is very simple but incorporates complex fire and suppressions phenomena.  Run it (it may need some syntax adjustments as FDS is forever changing).  Then study it to find the ignition source and understand how the fire spreads between the cartons in the rack arrays.

T.G. O'Brien, PG Cert. Eng. (Fire), BE(Hons.), MSFPE, CMEngNZ, Int. PE

Principal Consulting Fire Engineer

Managing Director

FireNZE (a trading division of Aquacoustics Limited)

http://www.FireNZE.co.nz

+64 4 479 3963

+64 27 641 3111

o...@aquacoustics.biz

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the email and any attached files.  Disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Image removed by sender. a889c9b4d8c8a6483ed88e6230a8863.png

~WRD000.jpg
Rack.fds

shiyi....@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2024, 2:34:06 AMMar 11
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank you!! I really appreciate it!

David Sheppard

Mar 11, 2024, 10:28:23 AMMar 11
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The shape of the heat release curve also does not seem correct for a sofa. I would expect a curve that looked more like the attached.
SofaFire.png