Windows FDS 6.7.6 install issues - MPI_F08_COMPILE...

Jamie

Aug 18, 2021, 3:37:53 PM8/18/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I'm helping several of my students get the latest version of FDS installed on windows.  Several of them are having the same issue with version 6.7.6.  When trying to run couch.fds to test the install, It returns the error:

The procedure entry point
MPI_F08_COMPILE_CONSTANTS_mp_MPI_SUM could not be
located in the dynamic link library C:\Program
Files\firemodels\FDS6\bin\fds.exe

So far there are 4 people with the same issue.  These are all clean installs on computers that have never had FDS installed.  Unfortunately I can't reproduce it on my computer, which previously had 6.7.5 running.  I installed 6.7.6 today, leaving the old files in place and can't reproduce the problem.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks,

Jamie

Glenn Forney

Aug 18, 2021, 3:55:59 PM8/18/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
make sure your students are rebooting their computer after the install and using the CMDfds command shell for running fds

Glenn Forney

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 18, 2021, 3:56:34 PM8/18/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
What version of Windows are the problem computers running?

Jamie

Aug 18, 2021, 5:35:17 PM8/18/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thanks for the quick reply.

Everyone has been running using CMDfds, tried executing with:

fds couch.fds

and

fds_local couch.fds

So far on one of them I had them reboot just to be sure and the problem occurred again.  That one was on Windows 10 Pro, I will take a poll of the others and make sure they've all rebooted as well and find out their Windows versions.

Jamie

Aug 18, 2021, 5:36:52 PM8/18/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Just got in touch with a 2nd person.  Same issue even after reboot.  Also Windows 10.

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 18, 2021, 5:37:45 PM8/18/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Also, poll what kind of processors people have -- Intel or other vendors. FDS should work with all, but you never know.

Jamie

Aug 19, 2021, 10:44:39 AM8/19/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
It works fine on mine, which is an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

I'll see if I can find out what the people having issues are using, but I'd guess that most of them are typical off the shelf windows laptops of various types.

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 19, 2021, 11:01:04 AM8/19/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Murphy's Law. I've never taught a class without some issue. Given that there are more than one problem computers, see what those computers have in common. Is it related to admin privileges? Installing the program in other than the default location? Tide schedule?

Jamie

Aug 19, 2021, 11:08:17 AM8/19/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Yep, this one has been a little different than the usual issues.  I wound up rolling one of the students with the problem back to 6.7.5 and that installed with no issues and is running fine.  Still waiting to hear back from several others as to types of processors and whether or not 6.7.5 run for them as well.

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 19, 2021, 1:53:37 PM8/19/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
The procedure entry point
MPI_F08_COMPILE_CONSTANTS_mp_MPI_SUM could not be
located in the dynamic link library C:\Program
Files\firemodels\FDS6\bin\fds.exe

Is this the exact wording of the error statement?

Glenn Forney

Aug 19, 2021, 2:20:32 PM8/19/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
try typing fdsinit in a command shell then type fds (in the same command shell)

Jamie

Aug 19, 2021, 3:37:49 PM8/19/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Yes, Kevin, that is the exact wording.  I'll attach a photo of it.  The processor on one of them is an  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9850H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz

Glenn I will give that a shot on the next one that pops up if any, I've had the others go with 6.7.5 and don't want to rock the boat now that they have something running.

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 19, 2021, 4:11:43 PM8/19/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Glenn was able to reproduce the error message. It occurs when he ran FDS from a regular command prompt instead of hte special CMDfds prompt. When one opens the CMDfds prompt, some path and environment variables are set automatically.

Jamie

Aug 20, 2021, 3:49:28 PM8/20/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Interesting.  I watched them use the CMDfds prompt when we got the error.  I'll try to find a computer around somewhere that has never had FDS installed and give it a try.  It almost seems like it's working on computers that had it before but not as a fresh install.

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 20, 2021, 4:13:49 PM8/20/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
What if one of the computers that failed with the latest version, then worked with the older version, had the latest version re-installed?

Jamie

Aug 22, 2021, 3:50:46 PM8/22/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Good question, I'll have one of them try that out.

Kazuki Kaze

Oct 17, 2021, 12:12:01 AM10/17/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I had this issue with 1 out of 5 of my company pc with same specs ryzen 9 3950X. I'm not exactly sure what causes the problem, but I solved it by copying the FDS.exe file in bin folder on one of the working pc and paste it inside the same folder on the one with the issue.
I'm not sure why exactly the problem is, from the error text it seems the new coding for running MPI using F_08 fortran is not found inside the FDS.exe, which means something went wrong in the installation of FDS. Try copy and pasting the FDS.exe from a working pc with FDS 6.7.6. Apparently solve my pc problem.