How to decrease the computation time?

Matteo Giampieri

Oct 22, 2021, 5:56:40 PM10/22/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Good morning
How can I take full advantage of my CPU and decrease the computation time?
Using MPI I never reach 100% CPU utilization.
My PC has a processor with 6 cores and 12 Threads and in my FDS model I have created 6 meshes.
Is this a correct setting?
Thanks

fde

Oct 25, 2021, 2:57:11 AM10/25/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Have a look at the chapter  3.3 Strategies for Running FDS in user guide and the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=sMQwgKK_GYM

John Van Workum

Oct 28, 2021, 9:35:14 AM10/28/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
We see best performance with hyperthreading disabled and using bare-metal cores with cpu affinity and maximum power settings in the BIOS. Typically, MPI doesn't play well with hyperthreading. Also, the OS could be "dancing" the process threads in an attempt to optimize (lower) the CPU's power usage. If you would like to compare your PC to our platform, let me know.

-John