Validation cases for active electrical cables as heat source

Sigurður Bjarni Gíslason

Mar 13, 2024, 10:12:21 AMMar 13
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Does FDS have any validation for the modeling of active electrical cables as a heat source. I would like to look at the resulting temperature of the cable insulation and specially when the cables are inside its relatively small cable conduit?

Further explanation:
Such cable conduits from one fire cell to another, are well protected against hot smoke with it's intumescent fire sealing but lack the protection against cold smoke distribution through the conduit unless when blocked at least on one side (for example with mineral wool).
The problem that arises when blocked for cold smoke on both sides is that the temperature that is emitted from the cable inside the conduit can even burn the cable itself.
We are talking about cables that are 1000 mm2 (one thousand square millimeters).

I would appreciate any thoughts about the use of FDS on this problem and if it is validated for this, or if you can point me to a source that will help with assessing the heat impact in described circumstance.

Sigurdur Gislason

dr_jfloyd

Mar 13, 2024, 11:16:38 AMMar 13
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Have you looked at the FDS Validation Guide?

Kevin McGrattan

Mar 13, 2024, 11:19:28 AMMar 13
to fds...@googlegroups.com
There are experiments in the Validation Guide (CAROL-FIRE) in which non-energized electrical cables are heated with an external source, but nothing where the cable is self-heated. The 3-D nature of this problem may not be appropriate for FDS.

Sigurður Bjarni Gíslason

Mar 14, 2024, 12:38:50 PMMar 14
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi Jason Floyd and Kevin McGrattan,
Thank you for your responses.
Yes to Jason Floyd, and I saw the external heating source only which McGrattan points to.
Kevin McGrattan, this is the closest validation example I get within the FDS community, and it's not a fit as you point out.
Perhaps I will send a request for a wider perspective of the fire design problem we are solving to SFPE.

Thank you.
Sigurdur Gislason