Smoke movement

Jonas

Mar 7, 2024, 8:16:18 PMMar 7
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed that in some cases the smoke doesn't pass through a "Hole" for example a door that I have incorporated into the model.

I have seen this behavior in multiple scenarios that the smoke reaches the ground but does not pass through the door. (the door implementation is fine)

any idea why this can happen? does it have anything to do with the lack of makeup air and creating a low-pressure zone inside the warehouse?

Thank you in advance

Randy McDermott

Mar 7, 2024, 8:57:19 PMMar 7
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Any chance this is also at a mesh boundary?  What version of the code?

Sent from my iPhone

quang nguyen

Mar 8, 2024, 1:37:48 AMMar 8
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Pls send FDS file

Vào lúc 08:16:18 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Sáu, 8 tháng 3, 2024, Jonas đã viết:

Jonas

Mar 9, 2024, 6:06:34 AMMar 9
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi Randy,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, both locations where smoke was blocked were at mesh boundaries. One was internal due to domain decomposition to accommodate MPI which I changed the cuts that I made and is now passing smoke but the other one is actually at the domain boundary. so let's say the door to the warehouse. I usually extend the mesh boundaries for 2 m to model the outside and let the smoke out. this one is still blocked. any ideas?

Randy McDermott

Mar 9, 2024, 6:22:46 AMMar 9
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Latest source?  I think we have fixed issues with transport across mesh boundaries recently.  Especially note if the mesh boundary is a refinement interface.  Beyond this, you need to check the velocity errors at the boundaries.  This is described in the user guide.  As mentioned by Quang Nguyen, an input file would help us diagnose.