FDS-SMV 6.8.0 (v7 beta) release

Randy McDermott

Apr 19, 2023, 3:33:14 PM4/19/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Dear Community,

We are happy to announce a new minor release (6.8.0) has been posted to the FDS-SMV webpage.  There have been several input parameter changes over the last development cycle prompting the need for a minor release.  Links to release notes are provide below.

This release also serves as the FDS7 beta release.

We invite you to join in testing the new complex geometry features.  Documentation can be found in FDS User Guide, Section 7.3, Creating Unstructured Geometry (Beta).  Please note the list of Current GEOM Limitations in Section 7.3.11.  We expect several maintenance releases as part of FDS 7 beta that will add to the current capabilities leading up to the major release of v7.

Be aware that geometries quickly become complex enough that the use of a preprocessing tool like PyroSim or BlenderFDS becomes a must.  However, for simple cases it is possible to convert OBST to GEOM to get started.

A list of official FDS 7 beta testers will be published in the manuals with the next major release (see the current user guide for a similar list of FDS 6 beta testers).  Please submit your report via the Issues page and include your name and affiliation and attach the label "FDS-7-beta".

Thank you for your efforts to improve our community tools.

Best regards,

The FDS-SMV Development Team

DavidB

Apr 20, 2023, 11:13:13 AM4/20/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Exciting! Will take a look for non-production fire models.
A question for Thunderhead - which versions of Pyrosim will cover this update? Particularly the handling of complex geometry features.

Randy McDermott

Apr 20, 2023, 11:27:11 AM4/20/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Our understanding is that the next version of Pyrosim will use FDS 6.8.0 (v7 beta) and provide support for GEOM.  Thunderhead will have to comment on the exact release version number.