Doubt in BACKING

Sivasankaranarayanan S

Apr 30, 2018, 2:44:32 AM4/30/18
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi all,

If I set BACKING as EXPOSED, FDS will compute the heat transfer across the thickness computing gas temperatures and heat flux on both sides. This part is OK.
But what if I set BACKING as VOID and set TMP_BACK to 30. I know that the back side will backup to an air gap of 30 degree Celsius. Will Heat transfer occur through entire thickness or HT occurs at back side. What is the HT condition on both sides for BACKING = VOID?

Thank u for ur time!

dr_jfloyd

Apr 30, 2018, 7:25:52 AM4/30/18
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
VOID is a combination of convection heat transfer (using either a user specified heat transfer coefficient or the equations for the heat transfer coefficient in the Technical Reference) and radiation heat transfer.