Fire in a Tank

José Maria Pomarolli

Jan 19, 2023, 12:09:35 PM1/19/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi people

Has anyone built a model for fire in a tank whose heat reaches another nearby tank?

Regards from Brazil

Jose Maria

Dave Sheppard

Jan 20, 2023, 7:41:51 AM1/20/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
If the fire was entirely inside the first tank, the heat transfer mechanisms to the second tank would be radiative and convective. I would just define the external temperature of the first tank and allow FDS to calculate the heat transfer to the other tank.

José Maria Pomarolli

Jan 30, 2023, 8:18:22 AM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Tkank you very much

Jonathan Hodges

Jan 30, 2023, 9:40:52 AM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Our analysis on large tank-to-tank fire spread indicated that additional validation was needed in this area. We compared the heat fluxes predicted by FDS to empirical correlations from the SFPE handbook (5th edition chapter 66 - Fire hazard calculations for large open hydrocarbon fires) and found we needed to adjust the PATH_LENGTH to improve agreement.