Smoke for ventilated corridor

GAM

Mar 17, 2024, 11:57:05 PMMar 17
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi Everyone.
I am modelling an apartment with a fire source with a specified hrr and a small corridor with an exhaust surface and a full height stair, with the stair door open. The only sources of inlet air are a window inside the apartment and on opening at the top of the stair. The result of this simulation is as the apartment door is opened, smoke enters the stair and is not cleared, and this is expected. However, I run another simulation for a different apartment with the same inlet sizes and locations, and exhaust speed. While the only difference is the 2nd apartment is slightly larger. The result is for the 2nd model, as the apartment door is opened, smoke doesn't enter the stair unlike the 1st model. I find this confusing as both models have the same exhaust speed and location, the same HRR, and the same opening locations. The only difference is one apartment is slightly larger, however this shouldn't have a great impact. So I expected both models to demonstrate the same result.

fde

Mar 18, 2024, 4:10:33 AMMar 18
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

Larger apartment might have larger wall/ceiling surface therefore cooling the gas temperature further. This might result less pressure in the corridor and better performance.

Kevin McGrattan

Mar 18, 2024, 9:44:11 AMMar 18
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Create a very simple test case where the only difference is the size of the compartment. Remove all input lines that do not help to demonstrate the problem or pose the question. If you still cannot understand what is happening, create an issue on the Issue Tracker with your input file.

BTW, this GoogleGroup is going to be retired soon.