FDS Cluster OpenMP Disabled

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 8:20:13 AM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello, I have been trying to use fds cluster using 8 pcs connected together on a domain (windows 10) but everytime I ran a test, the OpenMp is always disabled
then I tested it with only 1 PC so there is no firewall or anything that blocks any service and OpenMp is still always disabled when using Cluster
If I use normal FDS or FDS parallel, it works fine but on cluster it's always disabled.
I tried this on both CMDfds and Pyrosim, they both give the same result.
I am using FDS 6.7.9

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 10:43:20 AM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
What command are you using in CMDfds?

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 11:52:55 AM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I used the command
"  set OMP_NUM_THREADS=N "  to set number of threads then the command
" mpiexec -wdir -machine hosts.txt fds job_name.fds"
to get my job to work
it always says openMP disabled
so i thought maybe it's a problem with my fds file
but when I used "fds" command it always returns OpenMP disabled

Yuval Hirsch

Jan 27, 2023, 12:45:21 PM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Do you use " mpiexec "?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 5:43 PM Kevin McGrattan <mcgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
What command are you using in CMDfds?

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 1:25:23 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
no, I didn't know about it (I'm fairly new to fds)
Is there a way to enable openMP from it ?

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 1:27:15 PM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Try this

set OMP_NUM_THREADS=N
mpiexec -wdir -machine hosts.txt fds_openmp job_name.fds

Starting with FDS 6.7.9, we now release a separate executable for OpenMP applications.

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 1:58:55 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
thank you it worked on my laptop as I am currently not at work,
I don't understand why i can't set OpenMP before working the file,
like If I use  set OMP_NUM_THREADS=N  and then try fds it is still disabled
but when I use
set OMP_NUM_THREADS=N
mpiexec -wdir -machine hosts.txt fds_openmp job_name.fds
unseperated it works
I'll try it at work and then update you

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 2:05:01 PM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
As I said, we now compile a separate executable for OpenMP applications. fds.exe is compiled without the OpenMP libs. fds_openmp.exe is compiled with the OpenMP libs.

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 2:11:26 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I didn't notice the difference at first.
Thank you for your time.

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 2:13:11 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Is there a way to run the cluster on pyrosim with openMP as it seems the new fds_openMP isn't implemented there ?

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 2:18:17 PM1/27/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what kind of support PyroSim provides for running jobs on multiple Windows computers. Check with Thunderhead directly.

Mina Hany

Jan 27, 2023, 2:28:47 PM1/27/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
okay thank you

Mina Hany

Feb 6, 2023, 3:25:51 PM2/6/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I wanted to update that I found a solution, just change the executable fds.exe from the preference from fds.exe to fds_openmp.exe