Problem with pine wood burning

Mateusz Banaś

Jan 30, 2023, 2:42:58 PM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello FDS Community,

I prepare a small model to validate burning of pine wood euro pallet. I add to model a pine wood reaction (SFPE), material is yellow pine. A ignition source is a vent-burner HRRPUA=2000kW/m2 and this source is active in simulation about 10 s. Mesh 0,1m.

My problem is with to ignite a wood and start a fuel burning. Can, You help me please?
I attached a source FDS code.

Best regards,
Matthew
TEST_23.fds

dr_jfloyd

Jan 30, 2023, 3:04:25 PM1/30/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
You have a 10 cm grid. Your wood is a solid OBST larger than the ignition burner with only one grid cell between the burner and the OBST.  I suggest you look at your BNDF data for the wall temperature and add some slice files so you can see what is happening in the gas phase. You are not going to resolve anything in that one grid cell between the burner and the OBST.  You should also consider what type of exposure does it take to sufficiently heat a 10 cm thickness of wood so that once the flame is removed any combustion is able to sustain itself.

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 30, 2023, 3:56:27 PM1/30/23
to fds...@googlegroups.com
&MATL ID='YELLOW PINE',
      FYI='Quintiere, Fire Behavior - NIST NRC Validation',
      SPECIFIC_HEAT=2.85,
      CONDUCTIVITY=0.14,
      DENSITY=640.0,
      HEAT_OF_COMBUSTION=1.94E+4,
      N_REACTIONS=1,
      HEAT_OF_REACTION=0.2,
      REFERENCE_TEMPERATURE=300.0,
      HEATING_RATE=10.0/

This is not a good representation of wood. It does not account for char or in-depth burning. If you want to model wood pyrolysis, you need a better understanding of the process. FDS cannot teach that to you. You need to take a course in fire and pyrolysis.

Mateusz Banaś

Feb 6, 2023, 5:27:32 PM2/6/23
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank You for your advices