The visibility of the smoke in FDS

Wong Yeng Chiang

Oct 21, 2021, 10:09:01 AM10/21/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Dear everyone,

May I know how to increase the visibility of the smoke in FDS? My simulation showed that the smoke visibility of 30 seconds and 60 seconds was almost the same. Is there having any setting to set the visibility of the smoke?

Best regards,
Wong Yeng Chiang

fde

Oct 21, 2021, 10:22:47 AM10/21/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Smoke is visible if SOOT_YIELD is set.
Otherwise you can find some options in Files/Data/Coloring > Data > 3D smoke window

Wong Yeng Chiang

Oct 22, 2021, 1:04:02 AM10/22/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Dear fde,

May I know what the allowable range of SOOT_YIELD for methane is?

Best regards,
Wong Yeng Chiang

fde

Oct 22, 2021, 3:26:34 AM10/22/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I do not know by heart. I would check literature. It also depends on global equivalence ratio.

Kevin McGrattan

Oct 22, 2021, 8:41:55 AM10/22/21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
A well-ventilated methane fire produces very little visible smoke. If you want to see some smoke from a methane fire in Smokeview, set SOOT_YIELD=0.001 or smaller. The choice will not significantly affect the fire behavior, but if you are doing some sort of visibility or evacuation study, the choice matters and you should not just choose some arbitrary value.