Bad Termination Error

Jamie

Sep 13, 2022, 11:53:27 AM9/13/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi folks,

I've got a student running into a strange error that I can't quite sort out, I'm hoping somebody here will have some ideas.

He's running Windows 11 Home.

FDS version is FDS6.7.9-0-gec52dee42-release
(revision date June 26, 2022)

Default install, and we are trying to run the couch.fds file that comes with the install, no modifications.

Initially upon running (using CMDfds and fds_local couch.fds), he got a popup box "fds_openmpi.exe - Application error" with a message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

After throwing that error, the command prompt had:

BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
RANK 0 PID16596 RUNNING AT (Computer Name)
EXIT STATUS: -1073741701 (c000007b)

I had him do a fresh install while I watched, no errors there.  Had him run it again and same issue.  Then I had him disable windows defender virus protection and firewall and same error.  I ran the couch.fds file he had on my rig, no issues.

Next I had him go into bin and just double click fds_openmpi.exe to see what it was up to.  It then threw a message that it couldn't find the impi.dll file.  I gave him a copy of the impi.dll file and it next threw an error looking for MPI_GET_LIBRARY_VERSION_F08.  At that point I figured it was time to phone a friend...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jamie

Rajeeb Kumar Upadhyay

Sep 13, 2022, 11:58:56 AM9/13/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
It may be possible that you are trying to run two simulations with same title.  So just cheeck it once.

Kevin McGrattan

Sep 13, 2022, 11:59:34 AM9/13/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
The Home edition of Windows might be the issue.

Jamie

Sep 13, 2022, 12:02:48 PM9/13/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
just running the one.  I always have them do a simple unmodified sample case first.

Jamie

Sep 13, 2022, 12:03:45 PM9/13/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I was thinking that too, but I also have Windows 11 Home and no issues there.  It's possible it's some weird thing with the exact specific version he's got.  None of the other 20 people in the class (or anyone else I've taught over the years) have had this issue.

Yuval Hirsch

Sep 13, 2022, 12:25:56 PM9/13/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Do not waste your time on this version,

I was stuck with some error messages , changed the mash and nothing,

Yuval

בתאריך יום ג׳, 13 בספט׳ 2022, 18:53, מאת Jamie ‏<jamie...@gmail.com>:

Kevin

Sep 13, 2022, 1:28:09 PM9/13/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Do you think that this problem is related to the version of FDS? What does 6.9.5 refer to -- the OS or FDS?

Yuval Hirsch

Sep 13, 2022, 2:35:11 PM9/13/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
FDS version 6.9.5 running on Windows 10

I took the same model that does not work with FDS 6.7.9 and with 6.7.5 works perfect
There is no way to find the problematic aria in  mash ( based on the error message ) .
I made a decision that I have to finish my job and not to debug FDS compilation.

Yuval

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 8:28 PM Kevin <mcgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you think that this problem is related to the version of FDS? What does 6.9.5 refer to -- the OS or FDS?

dr_jfloyd

Sep 13, 2022, 2:50:57 PM9/13/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Between 6.7.5 and 6.7.9, FDS was changed to automatically find pressure zones. Having undefined pressure zones was a common cause of stability issues. If you have a case that ran in 6.7.5 when you were responsible for explicitly defining all pressure zones but is not working in 6.79 where FDS is finding pressure zones for you, then it may be that all you needed to do was make some minor adjustments to the geometry.

Jamie

Sep 14, 2022, 6:53:36 AM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Just to close the loop.  I did have him roll back to 6.7.5 just to give it a shot, and it did resolve whatever the issue was.   Unfortunately I can't say exactly what the problem was; I suspect there's just some little thing in the newer compile that conflicts with a very specific version of Windows Home 11. (This was just running the default couch.fds file)

Kevin

Sep 14, 2022, 9:08:40 AM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
This thread has diverged in two directions. The OP complained that the latest version of FDS does not run, i.e. does not even start, but rather drops a cryptic message. Do we know if any other app was installed on this computer that uses MPI (message passing interface). For example, PyroSim or another CFD code? Sometimes different versions of the communication fabric cause problems.

Jamie

Sep 14, 2022, 9:19:15 AM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
There was nothing else installed that made use of MPI.  It was a pretty standard (newish) laptop for a first time FDS user.

Jamie

Sep 14, 2022, 9:20:26 AM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The exact OS was:

Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed 4/25/2022
OS Build 22000.918

Kevin

Sep 14, 2022, 10:03:07 AM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I've started a discussion with Intel about it. What processor does the computer have?

Jamie

Sep 14, 2022, 2:06:03 PM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Microsoft SQ2 @ 3.15 GHz

Kevin

Sep 14, 2022, 2:52:55 PM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
This is a long shot, but try this command

fds_local -F shm:ofi couch.fds

or then try

fds_local -F shm couch.fds

Kevin

Sep 14, 2022, 3:23:56 PM9/14/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Never mind. The SQ2 is an ARM processor. Code compiled with Intel doesn't work on it. Same is true for the new Apple chip.

Kevin McGrattan

Sep 15, 2022, 9:24:05 AM9/15/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
The compiled FDS executable only works with x86-64 processors. To run on an SQ2 chip, you would have to compile the code yourself, but I do not know what Fortran compiler to use for a non-x86 Windows computer. We use Intel compilers because they are the only ones we know of that makes a Fortran compiler with MPI  libraries for Windows.