FDS Extract Surface

Muneeb Khalid

Mar 21, 2024, 7:51:37 AMMar 21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Is there any possible way to check if my extract vent is extracting the flow at the rate I specified for the extract surface?

Context: I have huge smoke accumulation in one part of my building (a dead-end corridor) which shouldnt be. The extract vents activate totally fine as per the Controls specified but I am just not sure if they are extracting out the smoke at the specified extract rate. Do I need to put in a device or a slice file to verify that?
Model_1_2.fds

Randy McDermott

Mar 21, 2024, 8:00:19 AMMar 21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you should look at the solid phase output quantities in the user guide.  Apply the DEVC to the surface you are interested in.  Practice with a simple case to convince yourself you are applying things correctly.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 7:51 AM Muneeb Khalid <khalid.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any possible way to check if my extract vent is extracting the flow at the rate I specified for the extract surface?

Context: I have huge smoke accumulation in one part of my building (a dead-end corridor) which shouldnt be. The extract vents activate totally fine as per the Controls specified but I am just not sure if they are extracting out the smoke at the specified extract rate. Do I need to put in a device or a slice file to verify that?

Muneeb Khalid

Mar 21, 2024, 8:11:12 AMMar 21
to fds...@googlegroups.com

I did check the boundary quantities and DEVC but I just couldnt come across something that can help me specifically check the extract rate of my vent.

The case is pretty complex in this scenario, however, it has already been run with success for natural vent. Just putting an extract mechanical vent is making smoke accumulation and I am confused as to determine if my extract vent is performing as it should?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "FDS and Smokeview Discussions" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fds-smv/CAC6wax2f1%2Bhz8Vo1hFg5_ThduJaxxja51n2JukV4Nt9OpNE8Sg%40mail.gmail.com.

Randy McDermott

Mar 21, 2024, 8:12:03 AMMar 21
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Please just use the GitHub thread.  Thanks