different between fire drill and evac results

baran khaksari

Oct 30, 2021, 8:32:48 AM10/30/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Dear Friends,

I carried out a tunnel fire simulation including fire drill and evacuation. there is a big difference between fire drill results and evacuation ones. In fire drill mode, according to CHIT_ecav.csv, the number of dead people is 30. But when I run the evacuation mode, according to CHIT_evac.csv, all people use EXITs and leave the tunnel.
Would you please help me understand this.

Regards,
Baran

baran khaksari

Oct 30, 2021, 9:04:35 AM10/30/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
When I simulate fire should I set EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.FALSE. and EVACUATION_DRILL=.FALSE. and when I run the evacuation, I set EVACUATION_DRILL=.FALSE and EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.TRUE.

Regards,
Baran

TimoK

Nov 12, 2021, 3:19:28 AM11/12/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Which FDS version you are using? Is it version 6.7.6?

If so, then do the simulation in three steps:

1) EVACUATION_INITIALIZATION=.TRUE. , run the fds.exe using just one process (no MPI used)
 This will give CHID_evac.csv and also CHID_evac.smv to see things in Smokeview. These are fire drill results, no smoke.
 And CHID_evac_info.out will contain some text that tells something about the evacuation run (initial positions of the agents
  and their properties, output of the exit/door, etc.

2) EVACUATION_WRITE_FED=.TRUE., run the fds.exe like you would run the case, where you have just fire meshes (use MPI if you want). The number of the MPI process is the number of fire meshes (if you do the "normal setup for fire with MPI").
CHID.smv will contain only the fire results.

3) EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.TRUE., run the fds.exe using just one process (no MPI)
CHID_evmc.smv contain both the fire and evacuation results.  This is the escape, when you have smoke.
And CHID_evmc.csv is the data (and CHID_evmc_info.out other information)

TimoK

Baran Khaksari

Nov 14, 2021, 4:50:56 PM11/14/21
to fds-smv
Dear Dr. Timok,

I use FDS 6.7.5.

Regards,
Baran

TimoK

Nov 18, 2021, 7:45:54 AM11/18/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Well, in FDS 6.7.5 the evacuation calculation strategy is the one that has been there for 10 years or more. So, the FDS+Evac Guide should be ok for that version (the PDF that is here: http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/proj6/fdsevac/documents/FDS+EVAC_Guide.pdf). A more recent version is here:https://github.com/tkorhon1/FDS-Evac-Guide/blob/master/FDS%2BEVAC_Guide.pdf, but it might already have some FDS 6.7.6 related stuff in it).

So, have the CHID.fds file and there on &MISC EVACUATION_DRILL=.FALSE., EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.FALSE.  and run fds.exe. You will run a combined fire+evacuation simulation that produces files CHID_evac.fed and CHID_evac.eff that can be used in the EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.TRUE. mode for a fast fire+evacuation calculation (fire meshes are not calculated, the fire information is read from the disk, the guiding flow fields for evacuation are also read from the disk). The FDS+Evac User guide should have information how to run this kind of simulation. NOTE: make a copy of your first run (fire+evacuation) output files, because later (EVACUTATION_MC_MODE=.TRUE.) runs will overwrite previous files. And you might lose your fire calculation data and that you do not want (lots of CPUs needed for the fire part). To see the EVACUATION_MC_MODE=.TRUE. agents together with the smoke, you need to do some tricks (copy the .prt5 files of the evacuation meshes to the old .prt5 evacuation files or edit the .smv file, where the file names are given that are read by Smokeview). Search this discussion forum for further advice on that.

If you want a fire drill (no smoke at all), then set EVACUATION_DRILL=.TRUE. and do not run this in  the same directory/folder that you are running your fire(+evacuation) calculations (or make backup copies of your fire calculation result files).

TimoK