Restart file is not created on stop with 'KILL'

Eugene Lyubimov

Oct 3, 2022, 8:30:19 AMOct 3
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

In accordance with chapter «20.5.4 Control Function: RESTART and KILL» of the user manual, stopping the calculation using

&CTRL ID='kill', FUNCTION_TYPE='KILL', INPUT_ID='temp' /

«will kill the job and output restart files».

But in our project test.fds, the restart file is not created, although job is killed.

Are we using this mechanism for stopping the calculation correctly?

test.fds

dr_jfloyd

Oct 3, 2022, 10:46:08 AMOct 3
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

dr_jfloyd

Oct 3, 2022, 11:19:28 AMOct 3
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Spoke too soon.  I fixed this and then realized I shouldn't have.  The Guide is just not clear.

KILL stops FDS. That is all it does.
RESTART forces a restart to be written.

So if you want both to happen you need:

&CTRL ID='restart', FUNCTION_TYPE='RESTART', INPUT_ID='temp' /

&CTRL ID='kill', FUNCTION_TYPE='KILL', INPUT_ID='temp' /

We don't force a restart with KILL as that may not always be the desired behavior.

dr_jfloyd

Oct 3, 2022, 1:23:02 PMOct 3
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Actually using both functions also wasn't working correctly.   In normal usage the restart function waits until the radiation field has been updated or T_END is reached (whichever is first) before writing a restart file. This can be up to 15 timesteps.  A RESTART plus KILL should force a restart before stopping but that wasn't working correctly.  That has been fixed but as a workaround until the next release you can do this:

&CTRL ID='restart', FUNCTION_TYPE='RESTART', INPUT_ID='temp' /
&CTRL ID='kill_delay', FUNCTION_TYPE='TIME_DELAY', INPUT_ID='temp',DELAY=0.3 /
&CTRL ID='kill', FUNCTION_TYPE='KILL', INPUT_ID='kill_delay' /

 The 0.3 s delay is for this specific case just enough time for the radiation field to be updated and the restart written.  once the fix is out you can just do the two lines as in my previous post.

Eugene Lyubimov

Oct 4, 2022, 2:25:51 PMOct 4
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank You for the answer and solution!
Does the order of the lines matter (in next release)?

&CTRL ID='restart', FUNCTION_TYPE='RESTART', INPUT_ID='temp' /
&CTRL ID='kill', FUNCTION_TYPE='KILL', INPUT_ID='temp' /
or

&CTRL ID='kill', FUNCTION_TYPE='KILL', INPUT_ID='temp' /
&CTRL ID='restart', FUNCTION_TYPE='RESTART', INPUT_ID='temp' /

понедельник, 3 октября 2022 г. в 20:23:02 UTC+3, dr_jfloyd:

dr_jfloyd

Oct 4, 2022, 5:23:44 PMOct 4
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
No the order won't matter.