wall with different materials on front and back

Thushadh Wijesekere

Nov 9, 2021, 4:00:15 AM11/9/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi

I went through the section 11.3.5 on the users guide and saw that if the solid obstruction is one cell thick or less the material layers should be applied to each surface. I understand the logic of that but, my question is how I should do this.

Should I use SURF_ID6 and attach the surfaces or is there any other way? if the obstuction is a thin sheet obstruction will SURF_ID6 work?

Thank you

Thushadh

dr_jfloyd

Nov 9, 2021, 6:33:39 AM11/9/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
For an &OBST:
SURF_ID applies the same &SURF to all sides
SURF_IDS applies one &SURF to the top, a second &SURF to all sides, and a third &SURF to the bottom.
SURF_ID6 applies a different &SURF to all sides.

If your material layers are different top and bottom but the same on the sides, then you could use either SURF_IDS or SURF_ID6.  If the sides are different, then you need to use SURF_ID6. SURF_ID6 can be used on a thin obstruction.

Thushadh Wijesekere

Nov 9, 2021, 6:49:49 AM11/9/21
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thanks for the answer