Soot Volume Fraction - RADCAL

Daniel Cortés

Jan 22, 2019, 5:19:40 AM1/22/19
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi all,

I would like to use the output value of FDS soot to perform some calculations with RADCAL. The problem is this value in *.out from FDS is in mole fraction and for introducing this in RADCAL the value have to be in volume fraction.

Anyone know if is possible to get this value in *.out or it has to be through SLCF???

Thanks in advance.

dr_jfloyd

Jan 22, 2019, 7:43:12 AM1/22/19
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Just do the unit conversion:

Use the ideal gas law to get moles/m^3
Multiply by the mole fraction to get moles soot/m^3
Multiply by the molecular weight of soot to get kg/m^3
Divide by the density of soot (per the User  Guide the default is 1800 kg/m^3) to get m^3/m^3

Daniel

Jan 22, 2019, 8:58:51 AM1/22/19
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thanks for your quickly answer, I appreciate so much that.

As we can get soot mass fraction from FDS, maybe we can do?

Directly obtain kg/m^3 from the ideal gas law. R=287J/(Kg*K)
Multiply by soot mass fraction from FDS to get Kg/m^3 of soot
Divide by the density of soot (per the User  Guide the default is 1800 kg/m^3) to get m^3/m^3

dr_jfloyd

Jan 22, 2019, 9:02:02 AM1/22/19
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Yes you could do that as well.

Daniel

Jan 22, 2019, 9:03:07 AM1/22/19
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank you for your help! :).

fde

May 16, 2022, 9:37:31 AM5/16/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi Daniel,

Could you please share a sample calculation? I would like to verify a RADCAL calculation compared to FDS devices at a single cell.
Thank you.