FIRE MODEL in tunnel

AMAN YADAV

Feb 2, 2024, 11:11:00 AMFeb 2
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I am trying simulate the fire for 30 minute in 400 m long tunnel . However, after some time, the fire is spreading beyond the fire source. Please guide me on how to sustain the fire until the end at the fire source.

dr_jfloyd

Feb 2, 2024, 11:18:58 AMFeb 2
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Fires require oxygen to burn.  Make sure you have read the FDS Technical Reference Guide paying special attention to the combustion model and how it deals with extinction.  Then look at oxygen, fuel, and where heat release is occuring inside your tunnel. Compare that with how the FDS combustion and extinction models operate.

AMAN YADAV

Feb 13, 2024, 5:27:05 AMFeb 13
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sir,
Yes there was lack of oxyzen so the fire was extinguished. Now I have provided the external air supply at the portal of the tunnel so fire is not extinguishing . But sir, I want to know that , Is there any way that we can provide the oxyzen without providing the external  air supply  at the portal because due to external additional  air supply I am getting the variation in smoke flow measurement. Please guide me sir ,I am learner.

Thanks and Regards,
Aman Yadav
MTech (Tunnel Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology Jammu,
Jammu-181221, J&K, India.
M- 7051456351

dr_jfloyd

Feb 13, 2024, 7:46:35 AMFeb 13
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
It is not physically valid to model a tunnel as a sealed volume. A tunnel has a connection to the ambient on either end.

AMAN YADAV

Feb 13, 2024, 9:02:53 AMFeb 13
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Sir,
 Fire is extinguishing after some time in inside(at the centre of the 400m long tunnel) the tunnel when I am keeping ambient conditions at the portal, and if I am providing additional air supply at the portal then fire is burning. How can I keep the fire burning  under ambient conditions  without adding additional air supply ?

Kevin

Feb 13, 2024, 9:15:58 AMFeb 13
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
You cannot do this. The fuel requires oxygen to release heat. If there is no oxygen, there is not fire.

AMAN YADAV

Feb 15, 2024, 3:37:57 AMFeb 15
to fds...@googlegroups.com
How can I run the FDS on my institute HPC with PBS?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 7:46 PM Kevin <mcgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
You cannot do this. The fuel requires oxygen to release heat. If there is no oxygen, there is not fire.

dr_jfloyd

Feb 15, 2024, 7:08:02 AMFeb 15
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

AMAN YADAV

Mar 7, 2024, 2:17:14 AMMar 7
to fds...@googlegroups.com
fds is running on hpc but with just 2 core so taking much time for output .  how we can increase the speed so that my fds job could run on more nodes .  here is my pbs script to run               #!/bin/bash
#PBS -N MyFDSSimulation1
##PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=40
#PBS -l nodes=hcc53:ppn=40
#PBS -q cpu-test
#PBS -o output.log
#PBS -e error.log

#cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

module load codes/FDS6-SMV6
module load compilers/intel/one_api-2021.4
cd /home/2022pte0043/amanYadav/

mpirun -np 2 /apps/codes/FDS-6.8.0/bin/fds 30MWlongitudinaltemp.fds

dr_jfloyd

Mar 8, 2024, 5:42:03 AMMar 8
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Have you tried using more cores than just 2?

AMAN YADAV

Mar 9, 2024, 4:25:52 AMMar 9
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir
               Currently I am using 40 cores to run the simulation but seed is still very slow...

Message has been deleted

dr_jfloyd

Mar 9, 2024, 8:53:32 AMMar 9
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Have you looked at the User's Guide section on Tunnels?

If you are already following the advice there, double check your inputs and look at the .out file to make sure you haven't made an error (for example using W/m2 for HRRPUA instead of the required kW/m2) and that you have appropriate and physically valid boundary conditions.

Do you have suffiicent slice files, boundary files, etc to allow you to investigate what is happening in your simulation? Do you see unexpectedly high flows, unusual pressures, etc.?