Time step

Siva

May 24, 2022, 5:46:11 PM5/24/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi,

May I know why by default the time step is not allowed to exceed the initial step?

And if we say it is to account for sudden changes, like high velocity flow etc. then it can also be sudden reduction of flow velocity. Consequently, the time step in the latter case can exceed the initial step.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Have a good day!

Randy McDermott

May 24, 2022, 9:17:50 PM5/24/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Just experience that it is safer.  If you don't want that constraint, simply set

RESTRICT_TIME_STEP=F

The information contained in this electronic communication is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain proprietary, confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, printing, copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information by person(s) or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by responding to this email or telephone and immediately and permanently delete all copies of this message and any attachments from your system(s). The contents of this message do not necessarily represent the views or policies of BITS Pilani.

Siva

Jun 1, 2022, 12:42:37 PM6/1/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Understood..thanks!

Ellon Bernardes

Oct 20, 2022, 8:56:49 AM10/20/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello!
Concerning the topic of the initial (and default upper limit) time step, I was wondering what is the rationale behind the formula FDS uses. I couldn't grasp it by myself and the manuals does not make it clear and I also saw that it was changed in 2020 ( https://github.com/firemodels/fds/commit/309333c8cfaf45f6ba4a0125323d53b38da66af2). I would appreciate to know the rationale of using it as initial step and upper limit.
Thank you in advance!

fde

Oct 20, 2022, 10:08:47 AM10/20/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

@Ellon,

Does User guide  6.2.2 Special Topic: Controlling the Time Step  answer your question?
Message has been deleted

Ellon Bernardes

Oct 20, 2022, 10:49:10 AM10/20/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Actually, it does not. I am asking specifically about the initial time step estimation: (5(dx*dy*dz)^(1/3))/sqrt{gH}. I couldn't understand the physical explanation for it. As Randy explained, the upper limit can be turned off which is useful but, if possible, I would like to understand the physical rationale to get to the formula. That way I can assess better when to stick to it or even change my initial time increment.

Randy McDermott

Oct 20, 2022, 10:49:28 AM10/20/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
The physical rationale is that it is the average velocity of a buoyant plume over the height H of the domain.  This is a reasonable first guess at setting a time step.

I changed the code to make the 10 more obviously the gravitational acceleration.

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 10:47 AM 'Ellon Bernardes' via FDS and Smokeview Discussions <fds...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Actually, it does not. I am asking specifically about the initial time step estimation: (5(dx*dy*dz)^(1/3))/sqrt{gH}. I couldn't understand the physical explanation for it. As Randy explained, the upper limit can be turned off which is useful but, if possible, I would like to understand the physical rationale to get to the formula. That way I can access better when to stick to it or even change my initial time increment.

Ellon Bernardes

Oct 20, 2022, 11:51:06 AM10/20/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank you for the feedback!