FDLog compatible USB GPS Clock

Alan, W6AKB

May 28, 2014, 12:59:01 AM5/28/14
to fd...@googlegroups.com

New project, a USB GPS Clock that FDLog can read and use to set its time to 1mS. The clock itself is synchronized to the PPS signal from a small GPS module to the microsecond level.

The protoboard has been running for weeks, the PC boards just came back from fab. The board is designed so displays mount on the back side.

The clock displays both local time and UTC, dates, sunrise and sunset, and can have several different displays - a 2.2" TFT, a 1.2" high LED, and a NeoPixel Ring to tick off the seconds. The project is still under development, but support for it is in the current version of FDLog and it will be tested on our Field Day this year.

The CPU is a Teensy 2.0 and the software is Arduino compatible for simple development and support. An optional ChronoDot can maintain accurate time while the GPS signals are not available.

If there is sufficient interest we may make PC boards available. The modules used are available from Adafruit.