FDLog_Enhanced is on github

Scott Hibbs

Feb 4, 2017, 4:22:22 AM2/4/17
to HS-FDLog
Hi Alan,

Still learning Python.. and still working on enhancing your fabulous program. I'm close to releasing a stable version for this year and wanted to share it with you.

I can't wait to look at your latest version, last I looked at yours was 152i. If you would like to see my changes, it's on github: https://github.com/scotthibbs/FDLog_Enhanced

Some of the things I've changed:

One of the things I did was check participants as dupes without adding them to the dupe log. This was a request by WA6NHC. It's a great idea.

We noticed last year that the program would go unresponsive out of the blue (for years we would just reboot). We found out last year that it was the caps lock. Caps are ignored so no one could type. fixed.

We also noticed that edited qso's were counted toward the individual and group qso count that is displayed. And that we could edit deleted qsos and the like. I've placed safeguards for that. However, I need help displaying the latest qso if a user clicks a previously edited qso. (ie I edit seq #4, which becomes seq #10 - if I click on #4 I would rather it show #10's updated info)...

I enhanced the vhf button to account for a free transmitter for fd..

also check for 1D to 1D contacts

added a bunch of color to the display, the user can easily see if they are ready to log and unable to log without band, operator, logger or power selected.

The .testqgen only operates with a 'tst' database to protect the contest log.

I add characters to the node so that they are all 8 characters. This way the printed log lines up nicely.

I also made a setup sequence for the first user to input fd category entries.

I removed a lot of documentation and reworked the menus..

I'm still learning,...

Scott Hibbs KD4SIR

Alan Biocca

Feb 4, 2017, 7:31:32 AM2/4/17
to fd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott, sounds like some good updates.

We are well beyond 152i, with major upgrades to parsing and a number of other things. We haven't set up on a new public repository and are using the fdlog.info website for public distributions, which are generally a bit behind what we use for our testing. I should update the site but have been a bit busy lately.

-- Alan w6akb

Scott Hibbs

Apr 9, 2017, 3:01:44 AM4/9/17
to HS-FDLog

I HAVE RELEASED THE 2017 FIELD DAY VERSION of FDLog_Enhanced on github.

Editing previous log entries, editing deleted log entries etc have all been fixed.

Program now works on Ubuntu Linux distros like Mint and Raspberry Pi. (Alan, this is needed as of your last public code 153d) because they grab the loopback 127.0.0.1 instead of the actual ip. Which means one doesn't talk to the other. I found this fix on stackoverflow and it works on all operating systems. However, I just added an if statement for the 127 address for now.

We changed the name Operator to Contestant. We encourage our visitors to get on the air, and sometimes we have a line for the gota station or they prefer a digital mode etc. Since our program shows the number of contacts each individual makes, it got confusing on who made the contact, the logger or the operator? (especially for the gota coach if he makes any himself) Since our programs didn't allow non-hams to be an operator, we changed this to Contestant so we can log who made the contact and who actually logged it. Now our program will error a Q if both contestant and logger don't have a license, and only logs the Q if one of them does. So now, the gota coach will be listed as logger for those contacts and as a contestant for his own.

Also, our program will "dupe" our participants, our call, or gota call.

Hope you like the changes!

scotthibbs at gmail

Scott Hibbs

Apr 9, 2017, 5:14:24 AM4/9/17
to HS-FDLog
I take that back. After looking through these topics about a need for the Ubuntu fix and the trouble with a Class B private network, I decided to rearrange some code.. My Ubuntu fix to check for loopback (127.0.0.1) should be before checking to see if it is on a 10. or 172 network. It's possible a linux machine could be on a 10. network or a 172 network. I'll retest and re-release.. :)

Scott Hibbs

Apr 9, 2017, 2:34:13 PM4/9/17
to HS-FDLog
MY 2017 FIELD DAY RELEASE IS FINAL.

When I advertised my release to here, I noticed several posts about the Linux Ubuntu fix that was needed. But there was also a forum asking about a Class B network (172.16-31) error which I believe to be an incorrect netmask. This is changed. This got me thinking that I didn't do my Linux fix correctly. I should put it first and then check for Class A (10.x.x.x), Class B (172.16-31.x.x) etc.

SO... This version should work with all Linux (Including my Mint and Pi) and work on all private networks. (I haven't tested the 172 network so let me know.)

Enjoy!

Alan Biocca

Apr 9, 2017, 8:57:13 PM4/9/17
to fd...@googlegroups.com
Great to see progress. I've been too busy this year to work on FDLog. Last year I made huge changes to the parsing. Will get back to it later. The Linux network has always been a bit of a problem. Changing the order of the hosts in the hostfile was a hack that someone provided, I haven't run it on Linux myself.