Networking Hardware

Jeff Kephart

Jun 15, 2010, 2:53:08 PM6/15/10
to FDLog
Hi
I wanted to turn other groups on to some nice hardware that I plan to
use for my offering to NHARC.ORG
They are called 'bullets' and are outdoor, commercial grade WISP
(wireless isp) devices.
The manufacturer site is www.unxt.com but a better overview can be
seen in the outdoor section of
www.netgate.com
They run on 12-24v dc, coming up the center and last two pins of the
ethernet cable, so I chose to make
my own POE injectors from a 2 place ethernet wall plate and a type M
radio shack coaxial socket (which
happens to fit the power cube from many things such as linksys wrt54
units)
The 802.11b/g 100mw units sell for approx $40!, they are mips linux,
software kit is open source.
The can be an a/p or client, router or bridge, WDS node or WDS client
(repeater) etc. They have male N on
the RF end so for omni I bought some adapters to get me from female N
to female RP-TNC and I use the
antennas suited for consumer routers such as wrt54. (I also have some
9dbi rods and panels and MFJ yagi)
The 100mw unit is called 'bullet2'
The 800mw b/g/n unit that I have is 'Bullet2HP' and what they don't
tell you is that latest firmware has a SPEC-AN!
($80 unit)
A bit of quick fiddle with PVC parts and I have rigged them to mount
on the end of a 1.5" pipe but they are tough
enough that someone I talked to had a tower monkey use one as a FOOT
PEG and only cracked the case, the
RF hardware kept running till it filled with water.

73 and best of luck on FD or with linking projects
(btw these can go out of the consumer band easily, and the 5.8ghz
version covers the entire 5.660 ham band!)